Clear all

One Piece At a Time

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Can someone help me with some tabs for One Piece at a Time by Johnny Cash? I got the intro down but I cant figure out Luther's part during the actual song.
Thanks for the help!

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Luther's minimal style looks easy, but it is way hard to get right and sound natural.
he was not a fancy player. he developed his style. it is unique. that's why it is hard to play.
great song. you just have to suss Luther out. or come close. I settle for coming close.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I gave it a listen at YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59H4S-a8Wj4

There may be some variation, but it goes something like this:

F Bb C

e-----------1-1-----1-1-----1---------------1-1-----1-1------1------------3-3-----3-3---
b-----------1-1-----1-1-----1---------------3-3-----3-3------3------------5-5-----5-5---
g-----------2-2-----2-2-----2---------------3-3-----3-3------3------------5-5-----5-5---
d-----------3-3-----3-3-----3---------------3-3-----3-3------3------------5-5-----5-5---
a--1--3----------3----------------3--2--1-----------------1------1--2--3----------------
e--------1---------------1----------------------1------------------------------3--------

F

e-----3-------------1-1-----1-1------1-
b-----5-------------1-1-----1-1------1-
g-----5-------------2-2-----2-2------2-
d-----5-------------3-3-----3-3------3-
a--3---------------------3-------------
e-----------3^---1----------------1----

Really not hard, just alternating bass/strum style of playing. Unfortunately, it's in the key of F so you have to play a full barre F, Bb, and C chords, some of the toughest! :D

Just walk the Bb chord up to C.

The G note with ^ after it means to bend this note slightly, raising one half step to G#.

Don't worry about hitting the exact four strings on the strums, you do not have to be perfect here, just get a balanced sound.

This will get you close, he might vary the runs between chords a bit, just use your ear.

Edit- After listening some more, there is a second lead guitar playing a classic Blues/Country lick like this:

F Riff Bb Riff C Riff

e--------------------------------------------------------------------
b--------------------------------------------------------------------
g-------------------------------------3----------------------5-------
d--------------3------------------3-5---5-3-5------------5-7---7-5-7-
a----------3-5---5-3-5----1---4-5----------------3---6-7-------------
e--1---4-5-----------------------------------------------------------
i m r i r i r i r

Just move the lick up a string for the Bb, move it up two frets for the C. Use the same fingering as for the F Riff.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fah-q)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I really appreciate the help. Thanks guys!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Since there aren't any open notes, a capo at the first fret makes this much more playable, especially for us beginners.
Then the "dreaded full-barre F" is fingered as a standard E , and the Bb turns into an A.
Much easier on the fretting hand.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Since there aren't any open notes, a capo at the first fret makes this much more playable, especially for us beginners.
Then the "dreaded full-barre F" is fingered as a standard E , and the Bb turns into an A.
Much easier on the fretting hand.

You are correct. Actually, at the very beginning of the video you can see Johnny has a capo at the 1st fret, so there is a very good chance his rhythm guitarist was doing the same. Then you could use simple E, A, and substitute a B7 chord for the B chord. This would make this song far easier to play.

But it's still great practice to practice those full barre chords. Your hands will be pretty strong if you can play this song for 4 minutes straight! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

E,A and B7.....with capo on 1

'folsom','get rhythm','so doggone lonesome' and many many more all use the same in a good old 12-bar style 8)

so yes..slap it on fret one and enjoy the rhythm :D

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote