Skip to content
One Tokai Over the ...

Notifications
Clear all

One Tokai Over the Line, yes it crossed the line...

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

... and I'm glad it's mine. It's another one of those knockoffs (like Ibanez, and luthiers') that got Gibson RRReally upset. It in fact was a dead-ringer copy of the '58 Les Paul, dubbed a Love Rock, and is all original, a 1984 - so happy 25th Anniversary or Birthday too, while the original '58 - ' 60 Gibsons are rather 50-ish. Wow! Tokai is half way there? But the company goes back to 1947, and the post-war BOOM in Japan, pun intended. http://www.tokaijapan.com/ #

After these inaugural copies, Tokai was forced to change the design, but still lived life on the edge, and made Love Rocks perilously close... but with the new headstock shape they had to use, it spoiled the fun. After Japan, they continued in Korea with a, ummm... 3rd generation Love Rock, till they stopped, and now I'm not sure except to say that I think they have re-invented themselves as a legitimate guitar company, with generally fresh models, and little of the old stuff. I'm referring the Strats which used to be called "Breezy Sounds" or something like that.

The open pickups were representative of the early 1958's I was informed, or read, unless my brain is still dead. Same thing with 1960, some Les Pauls had either style of humbucker.

Below, I have copied 2 pics of different REAL unrestored 1959's, not mine, and recently for sale for $350,000 US each, with or without flame in these instances. The red always faded, until new pigment was created in 1960. Prior to the bursts of '58, they were Goldtops.

But anyway, my 1984 Love Rock took the first burst, yeah, the '58 in it's sights and nailed it pretty right. IMHO. Gibson's own re-issue specs, which almost perfectly apply, are below.

My images in thumbnails aren't the best. When I click once, I see not only personal stuff, but ads for Photobucket too? :? 2 clicks and you're in business, up-to-size I hope. Oh well, hope to share what's there - and guitar players enjoy! :D

Specifications
Gibson VOS Vintage Original Spec 1958 Les Paul Reissue
* 1 11/16" wide nut
* one-piece mahogany neck with long tenon
* 22 fret rosewood fingerboard
* acrylic trapezoid inlays (accurate colour and size)
* early '50s full rounded neck profile
* 24 3/4" scale length
* holly headstock veneer
* vintage-style tulip tuners
* carved plain maple top
* solid mahogany body back
* single ply cream body binding
* thin toggle switch washer & jackplate
* nickel plated hardware
* ABR-1 bridge
* light weight aluminum stop tailpiece
* Burstbucker 1 (R) and Burstbucker 2 (T) pickups
* CTS pots
* "bumble bee" caps

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Beautiful!!

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

wow that is a beautiful guitar!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

Very nice.

Looks similar to my friends les paul shape PRS. Love the sunburst colour!

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Somehow when I saw it was you posting Bluejay I knew it would have the open book Gibson headstock. 8) That makes it worth a lot more, but I bet you knew that. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys!!! I think the guitar is pretty swell, and takes me back to the day, for mere pennies on the dollar. :wink:

All of their current models seem to be like really nice Strats, or G & L's, and there's a metal and Lucite experimental futuristic guitar in that site.

Also, this might have been a good snag, or a 'bad axe' to get when the time was right, couple of years ago. I see PRS in this one too, with Gibson basics or roots! :D

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's awesome!

BTW, several years ago I noticed a striking similarity between the Korean-built Tokai Love Rocks line and the Agiles sold by Rondo.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have not responded yet, been sort of pre-occupied, but I have been digging your sweet looking collection that you've been posting. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ric, and Roy for watching, and commenting. Enjoy your time with your guitars and gear, families and other occupations too! :D

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

the early love rock tokais are much sought after in the U.K

I have one myself but it came with a broken truss rod and sits forlornly awaiting attention :( ....not a simple repair as it means fretboard removal!

yours is beaut :D

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

the early love rock tokais are much sought after in the U.K

I have one myself but it came with a broken truss rod and sits forlornly awaiting attention :( ....not a simple repair as it means fretboard removal!

yours is beaut :D

Thanks bally. Good luck with yours, I hope you get 'er going some day, and you'll be Rockin'! 8)

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote