Clear all

Open D Tuning

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
 Rab
(@rab)
Topic starter  

Can anyone explain to me how to tune my guitar to open D, so that i can try and learn some Blood on the Tracks.

I understand that the strings should be tuned D A d f# a d' but i'm not sure how to actually get them to those notes.

For some other Dylan songs which use drop D tuning i would just get the E string and tune it down so that the the 7th fret makes the same tone as the A string, as opposed to the 5th. I tried to use the same method to get open D tuning, lets just say it didn't sound like Dylans guitar!

This tuning also appears without explanation on the Guitar Noise lesson Simple Twist of Fate, any help would be appreciated

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Open D is my "home" tuning!

(I'm in Open E right now, 'cause I'm playing an electric with 10s on it and they're a little light for D. Open E's Open D tuned up a full step.)

The easy answer is, get a chromatic tuner! Never buy a "guitar" tuner that just has the notes EADGB on it, they're pretty worthless and the chromatics cost little more. You can figure out ways of doing it from standard tuning (for example, the sixth string is going to D, an octave below the fourth string, the fifth string stays on A, the fourth stays on D, the third string gets tuned to the fourth fret on the fourth string, the second string is an octave up from the fifth string and the first string is an octave up from the fourth string), but since changing the tension on any one string changes all the others, by the time you run across them all two or three times to get them in perfect relative tune you're going to be off of standard pitch. Get a chromatic tuner, it'll save you lots of grief.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

but since changing the tension on any one string changes all the others,

Yessir, the bane of guitarists everywhere. I prefer fixed bridges largely because it minimizes this effect.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I am lucky that my daughter plays keyboard so I can tune to any notes I want from that but I was thinking.
I have several different types of notation and tab writing software and most actually play the notes as you put them down.
Assuming the tones ,being digital, are accurate would you be able to use that?
I think Power Tab may work?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yessir, the bane of guitarists everywhere. I prefer fixed bridges largely because it minimizes this effect.Me, too. Make mine a hardtail! But it still happens, mainly due to the flexion of the neck under string tension.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wishus)
Trusted Member

Start with the guitar in standard tuning.

1. Tune the 6th string so that the 7th fret is the same note as the open 5th string.

At this point you're in Drop D.

2. Tune the 1st string to the 3rd fret on the 2nd string.
3. Tune the 2nd string to the 2nd fret on the 3rd string.

At this point you're in DADGAD

4. Tune the 3rd string down 1/2 step.

I usually just start strumming the open strings in DADGAD and tune the G string down until it sounds right for open D. If you can't "hear" it, then tune the 3rd string to the 4th fret on the 4th string.

5. Correct any strings that have gone sharp or flat.

This will get your guitar in tune with itself, without the use of a tuner. If you're playing solo, this should be fine. If you're playing with others, the chromatic tuner is a more accurate way to go, for reasons described by others above.

Third Take a blog about home recording

ReplyQuote