Open E Acoustic Songs?

40 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
43.2 K Views
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oh yeah, that's a terrific one!

(I do believe it's credited to Gregg Allman on the CD I have, though.)

Hmm...

Taken from the US Copyright Office:
RE-834-565 (COHM)
Title: Little Martha. m Duane Allman (Howard Duane Allman)
Claimant: Galadrielle Allman (C)
Effective Registration Date: 25Sep00
Original Registration Date: 19Apr72;
Original Registration Number: EU327539.
Original Class: E

See for yourself, go here: http://www.copyright.gov/records/cohm.html

Click on the registration button, and type in RE-834-565 (Or just do a search for "Little Martha", and find it)...

Possibly the US Copyright Office is wrong...?!?! :shock: :D

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

...Or maybe it's credited to Galadrielle Allman, the claimant..? That's probably it... :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Could be. Just says "G. Allman" on the CD label.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Jumpin Jack Flash works well in Open E and HOnky Tonk was originally done in Open E if memory serves

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I learned Honky Tonk Blues in Open G. But Taj Mahal has a great version in Open D. :D

Any tune you can do in one, you can figure out a way to do in the other, actually, and it's ridiculously easy to do most things that you learn in G in D by moving the whole thing over one string to the bass side. That opens up a new string tuned to the root note, and often you may want to move some notes over there.

There are just some things that sound better or play more easily with the outside strings tuned to the fifth, and some work better with them tuned to the root.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

A fair amount of the Crowes' songs are in open E, I think. Check out ultimate-guitar.com. You could always play a slide blues in E as well :D

M

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

She Talks To Angels really is a great song. and it's very easy to play. the lyrics of that song are very powerful and it all just condenses into wonderfulness.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rosbro09)

you can play Little Martha by allman bros. we just disagree by Dave Mason gimme shelter by the Stones along with many other Stones songs

ReplyQuote
(@costahilbert)

blood on the tracks was originally recorded in open e with just him on the guitar and a bass player, but later half the songs were rerecorded in standard tuning with a band.

but yeah, it's a great place to start.

playing in open d with a capo on the second is a better idea than playing in open e, because there is less string tension, therefore less likelihood that you'll break a string.

Plus there are so many fun songs in D, that it just gives you sooo many more options! Personally, I don;t know why, but even when I play in natural tuning (cMaj scale) I tune a whole step down to D and just insert capo when needed. I enjoy the throatier, lower tones. Plus my voice sucks in E standard, Either Eb or D works better for my dead-ass voice!

ReplyQuote
(@davotone)

Hi... a few of my fav open tuning in open E (or D). These songs kick ass!

Black Crows - She Talks to Angels
ZZ Top - Just Got Paid
Allman Bros Band - Little Martha
Allman Bros Band - Statesboro Blues
Elmore James - Dust My Broom
Dylan - Shelter from the Storm (check out the live version)
Dylan - Simple Twist of Fate
Joe Walsh - Rocky Mountain Way
Rolling Stones - Jumping Jack Flash (this is actually a weird tuning if you try to play along to the original studio version it is not exactly E - think its slightly flat or sharp - can't remember which) but it's close enough to Open E)

Open G is a great tuning too.. lots of Zeppelin and Stones songs like: That's the way, Kashmir, Gimme Shelter... fun times

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3