Clear all

Opinion on some pickups

12 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have been listening to some Hendrix the last couple of days. I was thinking of some ideas to see about a Hendrix Sound. GFS has a "Jimi" reverse stagger set for right hand guitars. I also thought of getting a set of left hand pickups to put in a right hand guitar. Then ofcourse, I'd need some effects like his and an amp like his, but I'd like to see what that kind of pickup mod would do.

Opinions?

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Then, you're about 10% of the way there - his fingers and brain are missing. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

IMHO - I got some decent fingers. I'd have to work on using that thumb for rythym work. I'd really not like to use any more Acid to get his "brain" :wink:
Sure, I think Jimi was a genius. Some wonder what the big deal is. They may never know, too bad for them.
I'm mostly curious about trying the different pickups just to see what they'd sound like in that Hendrix direction.

I appreciate your response GreyBeard!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@niklas)
Reputable Member

Why not try out the Digitech Jimi Hendrix-pedal. I read a review in Total Guitar last summer about and it got a fantastic review. Five stars out of five. They said it could get exactly Jimi's sound from I think seven different songs. It would be a lot cheaper than getting all the gear Jimi used.

It really annoys me with the thumb for the rythm. I think it's really hard (could because I don't practise it enough :roll: :P ) and it's even harder to play his songs without the thumb. And just because one of my other favourite guitar players (John Frusciante) is a huge Hendrix fan he also uses his thumb on some of his songs :x .

"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What's the Hendrix sound anyway? Is that the Fender or Marshall sound? The strat he used live for Red House or the SG he used live for Red House? With the Vox or Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah pedals? With or without one of his fuzz pedals?

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I was thinking along the lines of the Upside down Fender Strat played through a Marshall with no or little fuzz, I guess. I guess it's a state of mind and creativity. Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to buy another guitar and some pickups to put in it to mess around and have fun tweaking a guitar. Oddly enough, I'm not even all that big on using a vibrato bar/ whammy bar (whatever you wanna call it) and I know he used it frequently.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I was doing some pickup shopping a while back and recall that Fender makes a pickup called somethinglike the "Custom Shop '69" or some similar name. IIRC, this is supposed to be Hendrix-esque....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Pickups have mighty little effect on the tone, especially when you're running through effects.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ricochet, these pickups are advertised as reverse Staggered, so the poles are opposite of a regular guitar pick-up. I guess this is supposed to give an output on certain strings that would sound more like what Hendrix's guitars would have sounded like due to his flipping them. That is what I am wondering, is it for real? Can the reverse staggering of the poles in the pickups make any difference? If you A/B' d two exact same guitars except for the PU's, would these reverse staggered PU's sound cool or what?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Ricochet, these pickups are advertised as reverse Staggered, so the poles are opposite of a regular guitar pick-up. I guess this is supposed to give an output on certain strings that would sound more like what Hendrix's guitars would have sounded like due to his flipping them. That is what I am wondering, is it for real? Can the reverse staggering of the poles in the pickups make any difference? If you A/B' d two exact same guitars except for the PU's, would these reverse staggered PU's sound cool or what?

Ask yourself this: If you listen to Jimi recordings, can you tell which one is reversed and which one isn't? My guess is the answer will be 'no'. These things are more gimmicks then anything else, designed by an industry that floats on our 'Quest for Tone'. Your best bet is to listen to whatever Hendrix sound you like and make a list of aspects of that sound that you prefer, then make a list of items that would get you there. Big fat chance that you can get ultra close without using anything made by Fender, let alone using reverse staggered pups.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

You've got some good points there Arjen. I have some decent sounds I am getting right now. I still need to get an all tube amp, or two, to really get a better sound. I'm also experimenting with playing my guitars thru my Ashdown 180 watt Bass amp (it's got really good EQ variations).

I'm still questing for different sounds. I'm sure Forrok (Joe) isn't through with his quest for experimenting and he seems to have experimented a lot. I think trying the different equipment is part of the fun of being a musician. I'm sure there are a lot of products out there that are gimmicks, but not all of them. I read a lot of reviews from different places and ask opinions on different forums to see what others think. Some people I feel I can respect and trust their opinion and some, I take with a grain of salt.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I doubt you'll notice the difference between normally staggered, reverse staggered or straight pickups. The differences will be in the very high harmonics of the strings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote