Clear all

Opinions on low end guitars

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just curious what others have found... I bought a Squire '51 a year or so ago mostly for my son but I figured I hack around on it a little also (mosty play acoustic). This past Christmas the ONLY thing the kid wanted was an Epi SG special (he actually wanted the Gibson SG Angus Sig model but he's at least realistic :lol: and a huge AC/DC fan... he's 10 by the way) The last thing I wanted was to go and buy a 2nd low end guitar for the house but like I said it was ALL he wanted and he's a really good kid. So... my observations thus far (for the past 6 months) are that the Squire is FAR better than the Epi. Both were $149 but I have found the fit, finish and components on the Squire superior. The SG always seems to be going out of tune, the neck isn't great (fretwork) and the paint job a little lacking. The neck on the Squire is really nice! It's essentially a Tele neck... IMHO, the tuners are reliable, electronics good... it really is a nice little guitar. So... did I just get a less than great Epi or are people more inpressed with the Squires than the Epi's?

C

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

QC is one of the first things that get forgotten, when price is an issue. Some low end guitars are brilliant some don't even deserve to grace the inside of the waste bin. I think that you've been very lucky AND very unlucky.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

epi sg specials are bottom of the barrel (or near)
the squire 51' is by all accounts i've read here and elsewhere a great guitar for the money.
you can upgrade a 51' and have a really nice axe from what i've seen

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20649&highlight=squire

also the OE-30 is a great guitar for the money @ $149
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Oscar-Schmidt-OE30-SemiHollow-Electric-Guitar?sku=514013

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

You might want to replace the tuners on the epi, then take to reputable luthier for neck work. Have a good luthier seat (make em snug), float (make em level), and crown (slightly round the edges) the frets. A good luthier with new tuners will give that epi a playability comparable to a custom shop guitar. It should also sound better!

PK

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

iF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR A great sg CLONE TRY THE Agile Valkyrie III. It has great reviews and Agiles are excellent guitars. I am also a huge Angus Young fan and have been thinging of getting one of these. )I have the Agile AL2000 Gold Hum and LOVE it!).

I also have the Squier '51 and think it is a FANTASTIC guitar! I haven't played it much lately since I've been into the true humbucker sound lately and been playing my Agile a lot.

The only real "high end" guitar I really want is an American Tele...there is just something about it that I like.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Maple neck? That's unusual for an SG type guitar. Likely more durable, but probably makes the tone a variant on the typical SG tone -- not bad, just different.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

I own a 200dollar old peavey, an old ibanez I paid 300 for, and my bass cost me 110 dollars out the door... But these instruments amaze the hell out of people all the time. They cant believe I got them from pawn shops, or that theyre even off the shelf... and that they were low end guitars to start with... when guitars are mass produced the margin for error is HIGH, but theres also a margin for accidental greatness. Ive played 150dollar squires that had neck fit and finish and tone that kicked a 2000 Fender Relic in the teeth. Aside from the nice custom shop guitars which are ALWAYS Labeled and marked and marked up... the same wood goes into a 150squire as a 1500 strat. Whatever they pick up first. youre only paying for an increased margin of sucess and better hardware. Find a nice Cheapo guitar with nice tone, buy a better bridge, have a graphlon nut made, pop in a new pckup or two.. and you made a 1500 dollar guitar for 400. There, thats my impromptu guide to "Trash to stage for under 500 dollars"

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I wouldn't spend less than $400 for an Epiphone to get a decent one that looks good out of the box. For $400, I can get two Agiles from Rondo, one w/ P90's and one w/ humbuckers.

I really feel there are some great low cost guitars that are worth every penny and possibly more. Asking questions and doing research on them is the best way to find them.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

I think it's hit or miss with Epi's, maybe hope not to get one built on a Monday or Friday :)

I've heard good and bad about SG specials, I took a chance, finish is flawless, I don't have any of the other probs that people have complained about, actually I havn't had any problems at all with it, but it is still a cheap guitar so it is lacking in some areas as is to be expected. What I was looking for when I bought it was to have a decent guitar that if I invested a few bucks on a couple of upgrades would make it quite a bit better.

I think is suits me well in that area, got me playing, while looking to upgrade when I have the cash, but still keep me way under the price of a Gibson.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
(@csmart01)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

QC is one of the first things that get forgotten, when price is an issue. Some low end guitars are brilliant some don't even deserve to grace the inside of the waste bin. I think that you've been very lucky AND very unlucky.
I think this sums it up best... as well as Manitou's comment "when guitars are mass produced the margin for error is HIGH, but theres also a margin for accidental greatness." I didn't mean to dis the Epi with my original post... in fact, it was what I expected for $149. The Squire on the other hand is of a quality I would expect from a $400-$600 axe. I guess I was just blessed with one of those moments of "accidental greatness" :D

Does anyone else own one from each Mfg and find a similar situation? Cuz I'm thinking I've had my eye on a Tele for a long time and when I see:

Squier® Affinity Series Telecaster Special $169
VS
Fender® Standard Telecaster $400 (also mass produced I assume... even though it's a Fender)

If all Squires are as well made as mine... the choice is obvious (at least for my crappy guitar skills) :wink:

C

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

squier affinity vs fender?

what you are paying for is a thicker body, better grade of wood, better hardware, quality control and higher resale value.
many squire telecasters are made of agathis (a commercial grade mahogany). the higher end squiers are more commonly made from alder like their higher quality Fender cousins.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@artguitarhendsbee)
Estimable Member

I love my squier affinity, its sounds wicked , I prefer it to alot of other guitar jstu cause of its lightweight. Put new pcikups in them and htey are awesome

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Agathis isn't a mahogany at all. It's a spruce-like conifer. Widely used as a construction wood in Australia and New Zealand.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That is weird the SG not having a mahogany neck. That Agile SG's shape freaked me out because I'm so used to the "normal" shape.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The shapes of all of the Agiles similar to Gibson models got changed 3 years or so ago when the original judgment against PRS for the Singlecut infringing on the Les Paul trademark shape came out.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2