Clear all

other than a pentatonic?

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well i feel that i can't go anywhere new with my solos now...i have pretty much mastered the pentatonic....but i need new scales to learn...what would be the second most frequently used rock scale besides the pent?

$MAX$

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Nobody's "worn out" the pentatonic scale. You've just run out of imagination. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

well...i dunno...it seems like theres nothign else to do with it...

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

you can throw minor scale notes into the pentatonic...or blues notes. If you out and out want to learn a new scale...I'm a fan of blues minor and the penatonic mode(very differnt sounds.)

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

You can get some outside sounds by applying pentatonics in different ways...say using a C minor pentonic when playing an A blues...

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow, I've been playing the pentatonic scale over 30 years, I wouldn't say I've mastered it yet.

But I know what you are saying. The pentatonic has it's own sound, just as other scales do.

As for the most commonly used scales in Rock besides the Minor Pentatonic, I would say the Major Pentatonic and Dorian.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

major scale on the poppier or folk rock stuff.

unless you leave hendrix in the dust, though, i'm sure you can find something new to play with pentatonics.

ReplyQuote
(@odnt43)
Estimable Member

Have you played the Blues scales, which are similar to the minor pentatonic, but add a diminished 5th between the 4th and 5th ?
Example for Am: A, C, D, Eb, E, G, A.

Then there are the Bebop scales, major, dominant, and minor.

Bebop major adds a raised fifth (or flatted sixth) into a major chord.
Example for C major: C, D, E, F, G, G#(Ab), A, B, C.

Bebop Dominant is similar to Mixolydian mode, but with an additional major seventh.
Example for C major : C, D, E, F, G, A, Bb, B, C.

Bebop minor is a Dorian scale with an added raised third.
Example for Am: A, B, C, C#, D, E, F#, G, A

"A child of five could understand this...send someone to fetch a child of five !"--Groucho Marx

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If by mastered, you mean you can rip up and down the scales, mostly in a linear fashion, then it is time to start using different intervals within the pent scale, plus add interesting rhythmic and phrasing treatments. As Ric says, nobody has worn out the pent scale(s). It is possible to produce interesting, edgy and/or melodic solos using even fewer notes. Slow down and start "speaking" with your playing. Think of your solos as a talking or singing voice.

More:

Treat the pent scale notes as "safe" notes to begin and end ideas, and start using all the other non-pentatonic scale notes ...
*as passing tones
*for mini chromatic runs
*as elements for tension and resolution.

Once again, don't forget to work to create interesting phrasing. That's half of what captures the ear. Music is not solely composed of eight notes played at 400 bpm.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys....i will take everything said into consideration try to use the pent in different ways and learna few new modes and scales...

$MAX$

ReplyQuote