Notifications
Clear all

Pain in the thumb.

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I say be careful. I speak this from experience. I used to "play through the pain" until I developed a real problem with my thumb. It became very painful to play. This bothered me for years. It came to the point where I knew I had to do something about it. I have had to learn to recognize stress in my thumb and relax. I never push with my thumb now. Sometimes I have to alter the angle of my thumb slightly. Now my thumb does not bother me too much, just once in awhile.

I used to experience this pain especially when playing large stretches like 3 notes per string scales down low frets 1-5. I also thought my thumb would eventually strengthen. But all I did was develop a serious problem. My thumb got so it would ache all the time. Now I have realized that I do not have especially large hands and some techniques are just out of my range.

It's like basketball, I realized very early I would never be able to dunk a ball. :D

So be constantly aware of the pain and let up if it's hurting you. It can turn into a real problem.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@fretted-fingers)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing.
I play until it hurts, and then keep playing until it hurts worse. Then I'll stop and let my hand rest for 15-30 seconds and go at it again. I'm already seeing 'some' improvement with it. I'm just going to keep at it, and slowly get my muscles back to the way they used to be. I used to not have this problem. *shrugs*

This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

Well, your guitar should not cause you physical pain. You've seen great players
that just wail all night, they're certainly not in any pain.

The reality of the guitar is that you need not put an enourmos amount of preasure
down on the strings to get a note to ring clearly.

Also make sure your finger is right behind the fret when it goes down on the string,
when at all possible.

Good Luck

ReplyQuote
(@ririzarry)
Eminent Member

The focus on applying just enough pressure but no more is very important. So is stretching before and after. Some discomfort is fine but pain is not a good sign. By the time your body signals pain, something not quite right has been going on for a while.

My suggestion is to build up slowly. If you overdo it, you can end up with Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). I would say its better to progress slowly and maintain the health of your hands than to persevere and risk injury which would stop your progress altogether.

Another thing to do is ice your hand(s) after practicing. Icing is not comfortable but has the benefit of reducing any inflammation which can be damaging long term. Typically 15-20 minutes is more than enough. Besides just a bowl of ice, there are wraps available that slip over the hand and do a nice job.

Regards,

Rob

Building the Ergonomic Guitar

Guitar Designs. Ergonomics. Guitar Making.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2