Pawn shop buying

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm looking to buy an electric this week but its going to have to be pretty inexpensive. So I am wondering if anyone else has had any success with buying guitars at pawn shops. Can you save money there? I know I will probably have to try alot of them out but in general, can you find decent equipment there?

The only other alternative would be for me to buy a "starter" guitar like a Squier or Epi. I would look at Rondos but I want it before next Sat, I dont get paid til Thursday so mail order if out of the question.

Thanks
Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

In my town, the pawn shops have primarily crap. If I stop in frequently enough I can sometimes find a quality intrument, but then they are usually overpriced. Thanks to the Internet, it's really hard to find a really good deal at pawn shops anymore.

I'd look really hard at the Squiers. Go play a few and buy the one that says "Buy me Geoo!". :lol:

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I agree with Crank-N-Jam,

I stopped at 23 different pawn shops looking for guitar deals when traveling this summer :)

The pawn shops were located near Madison, Indiana, Corbin, Kentucy, and in western North Carolina and they were priced what I consider high for used guitars - usually 75%-85% the cost of a new guitar.

Most were not willing to negotiate the price - mainly if they did not sell they would post them on eBay.

BS

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Called the shop I normally, and like to, buy from. They dont sell Squires but they sell Stags (which I never heard of). They also sell Dean and Ibanez.

The guy said that Stags are made in the same factory as Squires but I feel uneasy about it. I still might go by and try them out.

May end up going to GC for this one. I dont prefer shopping at our GC cause the guys are really rude. I just remembered that there is another dealer that I havent purchased from yet. I might give him a try.

Thanks for the info on pawn shops. Sounds like it might actually be a waste of time.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

That's been my experience as well. As an example, I found a really sweet American Tele at a local pawn shop. It was in mint condition and I really, really liked it. It's a '98 and they wanted $984 for it. If it had been $600 - $700 I might have picked it up, but they wouldn't budge on price. It's still in there as of last week too. I'm guessing it's been there for awhile.

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

The last pawn shop find I had was a brand new mint condition Squier strat for $70 went home with me without a thought. Same guitar everywhere else was at least $90 and had scratches and stickers all over them.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The company is called Stagg and they make gear that is about on a par with Squier. I would guess that they have similar quality control.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

with the availability of the internet and ebay to check current selling prices, amazing pawn shop deals are really hard to find.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Last decent pawnshop deal I got was a dunlop crybaby, digitech bad monkey and a stomp box type tuner (can't think of the brand) all in a digitech bag for $45

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I went and looked at alot of guitars yesterday. Bunch of Squiers which I didnt particularly like. I used to own a Squier but these I looked at yesterday were ugly and looked cheap. I looked at Stagg and I actually liked some of them quite a bit but they were as much as the Agile I actually WANT to buy.

In the end I decided that although I want an electric, I dont need an electric. I have two guitars that play quite well and will suffice for a while. So I am going to instead save for my current dream guitar. A Schecter C1 Classic.

I know most peoples dream guitars are Fenders, Gibsons and such but I really like the play, feel, and look of the Schecter C1 Classics. The colors and the "Vine of Life" fretboard are awsome. It just fit right in my hands.

Anyways, enough explaining... errr umm why was I explaining agaiin?? :D

Hope to have it in a month or so.

Geoo

ReplyQuote
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

So I am going to instead save for my current dream guitar. A Schecter C1 Classic.

I know most peoples dream guitars are Fenders, Gibsons and such but I really like the play, feel, and look of the Schecter C1 Classics. The colors and the "Vine of Life" fretboard are awsome. It just fit right in my hands.

Anyways, enough explaining... errr umm why was I explaining agaiin?? :D

Geoo

Schecter is an excellent choice. I have an Omen 6 that just jumped off the wall into my hands. IT DID TO. :wink: And I play it just as much as my strat.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Geoo, I think you'll be much happier saving for the guitar you actually want. Schecter's are nice guitars. Before getting my Epi and I looked at the Omen 6 and really liked it, but I wanted a Les Paul so I ended up going that path instead.

What amps are you looking at?

Jason

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

In the end I decided that although I want an electric, I dont need an electric. I have two guitars that play quite well and will suffice for a while. So I am going to instead save for my current dream guitar. A Schecter C1 Classic.

Geoo

Excellent thinking. :D

When you get that good guitar you'll be real pleased you didn't buy two cheapies instead. 8)

I've also wondered about pawn shops and once had a look round one that was next door to another business I was visiting. Once was enough. It had a real air of "loser" about the place. They clearly got most of their stock from people with poor judgement who'd either bought stuff they couldn't afford, or else tired of it quickly (or had possibly stolen it). So most of it was flashy crap with not much quality.

They also stocked a few cheaply made Chinese lines - like audio amps, or whatever, that were new but supposed to look like good deals (which they weren't).

Because they also sold most of their stock to the same bunch of losers after payday it was almost all over-priced and generally crummy.

No doubt there are exceptions, but whilst many of the clients appeared to be fools it was pretty clear that the proprietors weren't and would squeeze every buck out of the deal that they could.

Maybe I'm a snob, but I prefer to buy either new or direct from an owner who I can talk to.

Enjoy that delicious anticipation while you wait to get your dream guitar... :D

Cheers, Chris.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Geoo, is there a reason why you need the guitar by next Saturday? I ask because Rondo Fed Ex's their guitars and I got mine in 2 days...I am sure if you request it they could ship it Fed Ex Home and they deliver on Saturdays...or if you went regular Fed Ex you should have it by Monday. You shouldn't have to "settle" for a guitar you rewally don't want. I know you have mentioned the Agiles before...If you could I would wait the extra day or so and get what you want.

You can email Kurt and he'll get back to you the same day (well probably tomorrow since it is kind of late) and ask him what options you have for shipping.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

In 1978, I found a 1974 Fender P-bass for about $100 in a pawn shop in Morris County NJ. It has served me very well ever since.

I recently checked, and it could be worth up to $800 today, even more if I had kept the chrome pickup covers.

So it can happen...

-Laz

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2