Clear all

people talking while you play

34 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

there's something about me that makes people want to talk whenever i'm playing the guitar. it's really irritating, especially when they were totally quiet before i started. sometimes it will mess me up. a lot of the time, they'll talk about me or what i'm doing. what's with that?

(@progressions)
Reputable Member

There's only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about!

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

they must hate what your playing lol!

Play alone in your room, thats what i do/

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Don't let it bother you! Consider it training because if you can't play when someone is talking how are you going to be able to play live?

I went through the same thing when I started to play years ago and i learned to ignore it, I had enough problems just trying to NOT drop my guitar :roll: ! After a while I didn't notice it at all.

A couple of years later, at a cast party for the light opera company I was a member of, I found a guitar and started to play Beatles tunes. Lost in my little world of John,Paul,George and Ringo I was having a ball! I happened to look up and seen and heard everyone at the party singing and looking at me! I stopped and everyone yelled at me to continue playing. I continued to play and everyone had a ball! Really impressive, listening to trained voices singing stuff like "Yesterday" and "The long and winding road"! :shock:

Just to nip a rumor in the bud, I can't sing a lick, Ex-wife #3 did! Funny, when we got divorced, she got the house, I got the opera company! I think I was the one who made out! :twisted:

Yeah, Yeah, I AM paying many visits to the forum about singing and some day the dog will stop howling when I sing!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@azertyuiop201)
Trusted Member

another thing is when people start asking questions when you are playing (like : "what song is this?"). Trying to answer these questions ussually totally gets me out of rhytm.

but I guess people also talk because they don't really understand the value of the song or the effort you put into it. When you deep yourself into a song and try to learn it, the song gets an extra value to you but for most of the people it's just another song and nothing else.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It goes with the territory, much the same as drunk people singing the wrong lyrics louder than you're singing the correct ones; people shouting "ooo, I know this" at the start of every song; the young 'uns who haven't even bothered to learn a single song all the way through telling you how to arrange your songs; etc. Like or lump it, as they say, it's the same as it ever was and it ain't gonna change anytime soon :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I used to do this to a friend of mine, way before I started playing, and he would just stare back at me and keep on playing. I got the hint

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

why did you do it?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

why did you do it?

Ignorance I guess. Didnt realize how annoying it was until he let me know and of course my first hand knowledge of it now.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

God yes I get that problem, its so anoying!!! :evil: When I'm improvising - fine, but I'm playing a song i just think "shut the hell up! I cant keep the rythem while paying attention to u and replying to u!!!" :evil: :x :cry: :evil:
Even one of my guitarist friends does it!...

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Are we talking about people in the audience talking amongst themselves, or people talking to you when you're performing?

I'd assumed it was the former in my previous reply and stand by that reply for that case. I'll add (playing devil's advocate): who's benefit is a gig for anyway?

If it's the latter, just ignore them. If you try to respond and mess up, you're shortchanging the rest of the audience - and they're the ones who aren't self-centred enough to think you can chat to them while you're 'on'. There's plenty of distractions to shut out when you're performing anyway, so one more won't make a difference. You blanking them is no ruder than them talking to you when you're quite obviously busy anyway, so they've got nothing to whinge about. Talk to them in the break/afterwards.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have no problem with the audience talking amongst themselves when I play.

When they start talking to me, I get stressed and tell them to "$%£$% off I'm playing"

Nick says people come up to him and start talking to him, when he's singing

Crazy.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Maybe they're all dentists. Haven't you ever noticed that a dentist will say very little to you - until he has his hand down your throat, that is. The second your mouth is stretched to splitting and his hand is pushing your tongue down towards your stomach, he chimes in with "Well, how are you? How's things going? Did you see that programme on naked models last night? etc., etc., etc."
Ignore them and, just like your dentist, they'll get on with something else.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member

i also have noticed sometimes that people will begin to talk when i play. ive always thought it was annoying. Im not sure they realise they are really doing it though. I dont think they talk because i suck.

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

They feel awkward. It's like when cameras are on you and you don't know where to put your hands. I think so anyway.

oktay

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3