Notifications
Clear all

people talking while you play

34 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I think people just like to talk to the guitar player.

I have had people come up to me many times while playing a gig asking if we can play such and such a song. I usually just say, "Can't talk right now, I'm a little busy!" :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've learned to focus only on what the band is doing (or what I'm doing if I'm playing alone) because I can be easily distracted. (Ooh! ... a shiny object!) :D It wasn't easy at first, but now I can play and sing and make eye contact with the audience and hear nothing but the music. Ask me a question and I'll just point and play my guitar at you! Or sing to you! But, I will not hear or react to a question while I'm performing! Most of them get the hint and wait until break.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

My guitar teacher told us a story last night that relates to this.

Yesterday he had his headphones on and was recording what he descibed as a really difficult peice. He was nearing the end of the song when this lady walked in off the street and say "Hey MISTER". He put his head down lower and kept playing. "MISTER!" He kept playing. "EXCUSE ME!!" So he stopped and asked her what she wanted. She asked, "Can I use your phone?" LOL He was really mad but he kept his cool.

Phone that story happened right after this post.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@zacharias)
Estimable Member

It's most annoying when you are playing and singing, it's disrespectful, but depending on where you are playing, its best to be understanding; if people knew what kind of concentration it takes to play and sing while fingerpicking they would sit down cross-legged and listen to you as long as you beat the guitar, sadly... this is never the case.

Zacharias Wolf

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, from where I come from live music is generally played either at (private or not) parties or in bars and pubs. Both places are well known for being excellent locations for conversations. Or in other words: you can't expect the world to shut up just because you like to play guitar. You might even turn it around: why do guitarists insist on playing though conversations? And people talking directly to the guitarist: if you grab a guitar at a party and start playing you kinda put yourself in the center of attention. Deal with it or go back to your bedroom/basement.

Live is simple. :D

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I found it to be a great test (other than someone else messing up) of knowing a song. Certain songs/rhythms, I can have a detailed conversation and not miss a beat......... others...... well...... I don't play those in front of people. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

arjen, give me a break. i'm not an idiot.
what i'm saying is, you're around some people that really aren't talking much, just kinda sittin around chillin, and you pick up a guitar and noodle around a little. suddenly, everyone's a college professor on a lecture circuit.
i've been playing forever. i don't really give a shit about someone's opinion, but if you start talking so loud i can't hear my own hands, you're just being rude, and if you're doing it because you enjoy the music, then you're stupid, too.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I guess it comes down to the chain of events. If everyone is hanging out idle chit chatting and all of a sudden you break out your guitar and start jammin'....... well to be frank, you are in fact being the rude one and now everyone has to talk over your guitar.

That doesn't exactly give the rest of us guitar players a good name, punk! :P J/K!

ReplyQuote
(@saber)
Reputable Member

I agree with arjen. These people are trying to talk and you suddenly pick up the quitar and start playing a song that's far holier then any of their conversations? They probably start talking louder because there's suddenly a guitar playing in the backround. Maybe? I truely doubt they start talking in more audible voices just to make you mad.

And as for people talking to guitarist I also agree with Arjen. There's alot of social awkwardness at parties. Some people drift from one group to another with relative ease, but some people need conversation starters. You pick up a guitar in the middle of a crowd, your a conversation starter. If you don't want people talking to you, either wait til you get home to play guitar, or play guitar in a setting with less social tension. Otherwise just be breezy. Enjoy that people are interested enough to say something. Go out of your way to break the stereotype that musicians are stuck-up attention craving egoists and squirt out a smile.
DO IT FOR THE TEAM!!!

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

arjen, give me a break. i'm not an idiot.
what i'm saying is, you're around some people that really aren't talking much, just kinda sittin around chillin, and you pick up a guitar and noodle around a little. suddenly, everyone's a college professor on a lecture circuit.
i've been playing forever. i don't really give a poop about someone's opinion, but if you start talking so loud i can't hear my own hands, you're just being rude, and if you're doing it because you enjoy the music, then you're stupid, too.

It doesn't matter if they were silent. It doesn;t matter what they say, nor for what reason. It doesn't matter how loud they speak, or to whom, or how long. Unless you were specifically asked to play some music then noone owes you anything. If they'd really care they'd shut ut. And if they don't really care you should be so polite as to play guitar another time.

Personally I never even say I play music unless I'm asked. And if you play you play something others could participate in. Even it that means you won't be playing your favourite tune that nobody else cares about. It's a party, if you want to be the party musician your role is to entertain others, not yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

the other day i was sitting on a bench by myself and had a herd of people stop five feet from me and talk loudly about what i was doing. messed me up bad enough that i completely muffed a simple chord and then they left in a rush when they realized what they were doing. i can't play if i can't hear myself.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

First (and only) friendly moderator warning - watch your language.

Thanks!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

isn't there an automatic censor anyway?
besides that, isn't music about free expression?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

besides that, isn't music about free expression?

I don't know who said what, nor do I care, but GN is about civilized expression. Plenty of other places that do the 'free expression' thing me thinks.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Can we please resume normal (i.e. polite) service, otherwise I'm going to wield the big hammer.

We have to realise that not everyone has English as a first language, so the phraseology may be sometimes mistaken for rudeness, when it's not meant that way.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3