Clear all

Pick Dilemma

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Having originally tried out 4 different thickness picks, I decided that the fattest one was certainly not for me. It was tricky to play with and is a favorite of metal players which is a genre I don't think I've ever ventured into.

Out of the other three it's hard to decide. For the last year or so I'd say I've consistently stuck with the medium (.66 ish) but lately I haven't been so happy with some aspects of the sound it produces. Whilst strumming for instance, the strings don't ring as nicely as with the .33 ish. But I originally chose the .66 because I found it easier to pick with it and thought it sounded fine for chords. But lately I;ve been playing with the thinner .33 to give it a go because my standard of playing has changed, so maybe the type of pick I use needs to change.

Lately I've been putting a lot more effort into lead playing skills and a long term goal has been to emulate Hendrix/Frusciante in being an alround player in the sense that they play chords + runs/lead. I think Frusciante uses a .33 red Tortex pick, but Hendrix was slightly thicker.

However also to be put into consideration is that they both use .10 strings, which having tried out, I didn't like much. It was quite a bit different in every aspect to .9s.

So...

.33 or .66?

Objectively there must be something that could point me in the right direction. Or atleast some kind of test like listen out for how the strings are ringing when you do a particular action or something?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I'd think picks are cheap enough for you to buy oine of each and try them at home, maybe record yourself and see which you prefer?

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I already have a few of each.

But I haven't tried comparing recordings yet. That might be a good idea. Although I'm not sure my equipment would give a crystal clear representation. Interesting question actually. How does a recording differ in how you hear a live sound?

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i've experimented with a lot of different picks. I used to like a very thin pick for strumming. then i found Dunlop big stubbies. they're a piece of hard plastic and i like them the best for both strumming and picking. i'll never use a think pick again.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

It's a matter of personal choice. The pick I used has changed over the years. At the moment, I've been happiest using a .73mm for both rhythm and lead duties on acoustic and electric. There's no magic bullet here.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Try and try until you feel comfortable with anyone.I find .60mm - the medium ones best.

Later i can work more on my playing with a pick...

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'd think picks are cheap enough for you to buy oine of each and try them at home, maybe record yourself and see which you prefer?

Really?

My picks run about $15 each . . . but then, I'm a freak ;)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

It's not only the gauge, but also the material that makes a difference. For example, a .73mm Ultex is much more stiff than a .73mm nylon.

I've got a dozen or so different types, but my current favorites are .50mm Tortex for acoustic, .73mm Ultex for electric, and 2.0mm Dunlop Jazztones for bass.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Really?

My picks run about $15 each . . . but then, I'm a freak ;)
To each his own.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

And so i think, playing classical guitar is a relief...not to bother about plectrums.

However as one should know both, i am trying to learn.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Have you tried one of these?
http://www.thomann.de/gb/dava_control_pick_medium_heavy.htm

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

I'm a lot fussier about the material than the gauge. I find the material has a greater impact on tone. I like Tortex, but as far as gauge: anything from a standard medium to as heavy as .96mm for 10 gauge nickel electric, generally less weight for my acoustic.

Don

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

For Electric I've been playing with .88 Tortex picks http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dunlop-Tortex-Standard-Picks?sku=110040 , or a medium fender 351 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-351-Standard-Picks-?sku=110500 . The Dunlop's for lead heavy stuff like the blues, while the fenders for more general stuff.

For Acoustic, I've been using a .96 Fender 346 style pick http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-346-Shell-Pick?sku=110541 . The big rounded triangle picks are great for strumming.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I'm more recently been trying the softer materials, like the Fender California Clears. I like the Tortex, but on some of the thicker gauges they have a sort of flat edge. I like them to be a bit rounded and smooth on the edge.

Like the older celluloid picks.

But I do tend to use really thin picks to get the 'brushy' strumming sound you hear sometimes; like a Fender Big Triangle thin. On the other hand Santana uses a big triangle for everything I've heard.

To answer Clazon abou live vs recording: In my opinion, when you're onstage everything gets a little blown out of proportion; there's lots more adrenalin and excitement going on so there's times you'll find yourself bending strings a lot easier, playing more forcefully, and getting into it. Amp settings, efx settings, even string gauge and pick gauge sometimes have to be adjusted - or not, depending.

Sitting in the room recording is a completely different sort of feel - to everything - a way different vibe, and that's when you might go with softer strings and picks. After you've done each for awhile though it all sorta equals out. :)

But for right now, I'm more into Delrin picks.

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

See, it's gigging that has got me doubting what thickness I shouyld use.

Whilst playing live, I guess there's more tension, so I strum harder and more jerkily (including added effort for showmanship :D ) which is when I feel the sound at times is a bit uneven, where as my thinner pick(s) come of with a more rounded sound, but are at times a little too flimsy for some single note playing.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2