Pick,thumpick,or fingers?

25 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Welcome to the forums, Ramon!
To compensate for the thin nature of my nails I use a nail hardener that has industrial diamond dust and that makes it work for me . The cost of the nail hardener yearly isn't half of what I was putting out for picks too .

Care to share the name of the product? I've tried about everything else on the market to firm up my nails.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

LOL! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

LOL! :lol:

:::singing:::
This is my quest... to follow my nails...
No matter how hopeless... no matter how frail...

:)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@hurricane_ramon)

Welcome to the forums, Ramon!
To compensate for the thin nature of my nails I use a nail hardener that has industrial diamond dust and that makes it work for me . The cost of the nail hardener yearly isn't half of what I was putting out for picks too .

Care to share the name of the product? I've tried about everything else on the market to firm up my nails.
================================================================================

Please forgive the long space in time Crow .

The product's manufacturer and name :

Sally Hansen - Diamond Strength - Instant Nail Hardener

Hurricane Ramon :note2:

It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life -some death-Evolving like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life .

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

Thanks Ramon! I've tried other Hansen products but not that one.

These days I'm having good luck using no products other than moisturizers -- also filing/sanding rather than clipping, wearing rubber gloves for housework, and generally leading a pure & healthy lifestyle :P as Scrybe advised in the thread I linked to in a previous post. Even when a nail splits, the split doesn't extend.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

pick and fingers. never used finger/thumb picks much. i tried them and it didn't feel right. i don't like the sideways thumbpick and the fingerpicks don't get a good grip on the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@hurricane_ramon)

Thanks Ramon! I've tried other Hansen products but not that one.

These days I'm having good luck using no products other than moisturizers -- also filing/sanding rather than clipping, wearing rubber gloves for housework, and generally leading a pure & healthy lifestyle :P as Scrybe advised in the thread I linked to in a previous post. Even when a nail splits, the split doesn't extend.
=============================================

Crow :

I beat the living shmock out of my fingers on a nylon with brass windings on the " G - D - A - E strings when I first attempted to play with out a pick or any protection on my nails . They got soooooooooooo thin it hurt !

My wife suggested the nail hardener with the diamond dust in it and I thought what the heck and tried it and I have not looked back since and it's going on 7 years plus years now .

Lately it's been the electric guitar as my playing has progressed to that level . The steel strings on a electric are tougher on your nails than a steel stringed acoustic . The nail hardener has really done an out standing job protecting my thin nails .

Easy

HR

It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life -some death-Evolving like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life .

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Picks and fingers, generally.
Thumbscrews only on the weekend.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gotdablues)
Estimable Member

I've been using a thumbpick so long, I can't hardly hold a flat pick no more.....
I can do nice melodic finger-pickin, and then stomp on the box and wail.

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@marcmm)
Eminent Member

Hi.

I think that it's important for a guitar player to try as many picking styles as possible. I use pick and fingers, coz' there's some stuff you can/can't play with just pick/fingers:). As Alan i can't get used to thumbpick - it just seems a bit alienated to me, but i guess if i'd praticed enough.. I do use fingerpicks sometimes for acoustic blues.. I've had a really hard time finding the right ones though.

On the long run, i think, u can create your own playing style if you know how to play with all of this:). As i said, i use pick and fingers at the same time cos it gives me wide dynamic options among other stuff.

(P.S. check out Brian Setzler for more on how to use pick and fingers)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2