Skip to content
pickup for a seagul...

Notifications
Clear all

pickup for a seagull cedar top 12 string?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@brotherich)
Topic starter  

i posted this on the new members forum and haven't gotten any response so i thought i'd do it here - i've researched and researched and my brain is awash in hype - does anyone have a practical idea for a pickup where i'm not looking for that "perfect acoustic" sound but only to be heard in a praise band situation which includes keyboard, electric guitar, 6 string acoustic, bass and drums - usually rhythm with occasional solo fingerpicking - suggestions from your experience would be appreciated - thanks

(@davidhodge)

Are you looking at having something built in to the body of your guitar (where you just plug yourself in like an electric guitar) or something that maybe clips onto the soundhole (and then you plug that into your PA or amplifier)? There are many types to choose from in all kinds of price ranges. Do you have a budget?

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@brotherich)
Topic starter  

david, thank you for taking the time to answer - you are such a blessing to wannabe players as myself and i understand you are a 12 string fan

i have looked at soundhole, undersaddle, underbridge - you name it - $100 -150 - while i am not searching for that perfect acoustic sound - i do want fairly accurate reproduction - i am leaning (for no particular reason) to the dimarzio dp138(it has 12 adjustable pole pieces)soundhole pickup that i can use fairly easily and then solder it to an endpin jack later for permanent installation, but i don't know if that type is best for a 12 string since there is a difference in spacing

thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

How loud does your band play? If feedback is a potential problem, you may need a soundhole feedback blocker, which would obviously interfere with a soundhole pickup. My low-end Breedlove feeds back like crazy even at moderate praise-band volumes, as I have to stand very close to my monitor. Fortunately it has built-in electronics.

In any case, I'd call a few shops (esp. local, if you have one) that specialize in acoustics and get their opinions. Online shops with good service and an emphasis on acoustic instruments would include Maury's and Elderly.

I'd be concerned about the string-spacing with a soundhole pickup that has individual pole pieces, like the Baggs M1. The Fishman and some of the Duncan soundhole models might be better suited to a 12-string guitar.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote