Notifications
Clear all

pickups and the difference!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cambodian)
Topic starter  

When I was looking at guitars, i noticed that they either have pickups like seymour (sp) duncan, or "active" pickups, EMG 81s. I also read that active pickups are bad for lead but are great for rythm. Is this true, can it not do lead at all? What pickups would be the best for rock/metal?

Thanks,
Dan

(@greatbeanie)
Eminent Member

well first off dan, u can do watever you want, u need to forget the rules of how ur tone should sound, many blues vets i know are killer lead players, but use there tone down to bass, and neck position... which is pretty bassy, but they love it, and my best friend has a carvin with active pickups, and he is a lead player in a jazz band, might i add, he is an excellent player as well, so its all about u, and well, there is no best for rock, is ur lookin for more of a crunch in ur sound, i would say go with single coils and use slight distirtion, if u want a heavy thrash sound, i would say go with some type of humbucker. but dont get me wrong, they are both used for the other pourpose as well, its really all about u.

Bach Rachs!
Music is like your woman... sometimes its a b*tch, but you would'nt trade it for the world.

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member

Find a guitar with an emg 81 pickup in it and try it out for yourself :D I plan on putting 1 in my guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@fiberoptik)
Estimable Member

the EMG H series is great for sparkling clean tone.. More or less is a single coil designed to fit in a Humbucker slot.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

also read that active pickups are bad for lead but are great for rythm. Is this true, can it not do lead at all? What pickups would be the best for rock/metal?

That's not quite accurate, its very good for lead and rythm. but you know what, at the end of the day everybody has a "sound" in their mind that they are searching for. For you SD might be the answer maybe EMG maybe neither. what i would suggest is take YOUR amp to the guitarshop and play the guitars on it. At the end that's the sound youre gonna have. Get what sounds best with your kit. Not the expensive mesa that most of us only look at but can't afford.

You should have a good idea what kind of Pickups will suit your needs after testing the diff guitars.

the short answer would be EMG's are very good for metal/HardRock - SD aswell - the Gibson 500T is also very strong.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote