Notifications
Clear all

Pinch harmonics

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

Got to admit...... I never could do that EVH dive bomb stuff just using the right hand - I was never happy because along with hearing the harmonic I would hear a little bit of the open string coming through - is that normal? If not how do you change that?

together we stand, divided we fall..........

ReplyQuote
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

A couple of points I think some people have missed in otherwise good answers. Personally I can only get the Billy Gibbons pinches with an up stroke to make it real accurate. I use almost a plucking/scraping attack upwards with very lite contact with the knuckle of my thumb. The best thing about my technique is it doesn't change the position of my pick in my hand. I use fender mediums btw, a lot of guys prefer the jazz III's though. You really need to just try to get the sound in different positions of your fetting hand; move the pick around in your hand, attack at different spots. Once you get it - two time - you will be able to call it up any where. Its one of those things.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Got to admit...... I never could do that EVH dive bomb stuff just using the right hand - I was never happy because along with hearing the harmonic I would hear a little bit of the open string coming through - is that normal? If not how do you change that?

A lot of what's stumping you is due to how you are miking your guitar. I use a Marshall SL100 brain into 4 12" Lansings...really loud and the pickup maybe 3 feet away from the cabinet...maybe 30 degrees off. The regular string noise will be there but the highs will be way louder. If you can, use a D Box to split the signal into LINE as well as LIVE AMP. Play with the board to get it right.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

I am not mic-cing up my guitar - but when I do the harmonics with just my right hand I can hear the harmonics but also the open strings at the same time. I think if you do it well you can stop the open string noise entirely because when I listen to Satriani do the dive bombs I can't hear his open strings.... I probably will never get good at it because I would rather do something useful like learn a song.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

You mean to say what you hear by Sat hasn't gone under the nose of an engineer at the board? Hardly likely!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHhKBeL1KI&playnext=1&list=PL96E90D1DE742129F&feature=results_video

Listening to this guy.... yeah I guess I can hear the strings a tiny bit still....... he acheived way better results that I could ever get however I can't even try anymore because neither of my guitars have that whole tremelo setup. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@fleaaaaaa)
Prominent Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj_IdokA5mo&feature=g-vrec

Just thought I'd put this out there in the OP is still watching

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2