Clear all

Player Guitars

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@blueguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK, I have heard about them for a long time, "this guitar plays itself!" but never encountered one. :wink: Can you please list a couple of these guitars both electric or acoustic that you might have run across that are such a delight to play and what is it about them that make them so darn playable? :)

(@97reb)
Noble Member

I am of the opinion, even an idiot will not make the best guitar sound good. Practice makes perfect. Some people are born with talent, but they still have to play the instrument. It is not just the instrument, but technique.

That said, not all(any) manufacturers are going to have perfect production, so, each instrument has to be played to determine playability. Any forum you read will allude to this. Even(especially) Gibson Makes Duds. Fender has many different styles/shapes of necks, some feel better than others depending on personal experience and preference. I don't really care about manufacturer, I just want the "guit-box" to rocks! Yeah!!!!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You'll find a host of suggestions in the forum "I'm Looking for a New..."

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@blueguy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I guess what I want to know is what makes a particular guitar a "player"? Is it the neck profile or the body shape which allows you to get access to the higher fretts. Sorry for the confusion. :?

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

There isn't a "one size fits all" answer to your question. Each of us has to find the guitar that suits our style of play and our physical atributes. The guitar that "play's itself" for you may not do much for me or vice-versa. There's high action, low action, thin neck profile, thick neck profile, different body sizes and any number of other differences. That's why it's best to play as many different guitars as possible before making a decision. When you find the right one, you'll know the feeling of the guitar "playing itself".

denny

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

There isn't a "one size fits all" answer to your question. Each of us has to find the guitar that suits our style of play and our physical atributes. The guitar that "play's itself" for you may not do much for me or vice-versa. There's high action, low action, thin neck profile, thick neck profile, different body sizes and any number of other differences. That's why it's best to play as many different guitars as possible before making a decision. When you find the right one, you'll know the feeling of the guitar "playing itself".

denny

Yep, it's all about personal preference. When you find "the one" you'll know it! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I'll disagree a bit that it's "all personal." Certainly individual preference plays into it, but there's also craftsmanship and quality as well. If you really like a certain neck scale, you'll still find that some necks of that scale are objectively superior due to build and finish quality.

The more experience you have with higher end quality guitars, the more you realize the importance of build quality. And "higher end" doesn't always mean "more expensive." Lots of good luthiers out there turn out guitars and parts that are far better than some "name brand" bits for very reasonable prices.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Funny thing about those guitars that "play themselves" is they don't always elicit one's best playing. Sometimes a bit of fight helps the performance. But as always: YMMV.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Funny thing about those guitars that "play themselves" is they don't always elicit one's best playing. Sometimes a bit of fight helps the performance. But as always: YMMV.

Word!

ReplyQuote