Notifications
Clear all

Playing a half step down problem(s).

33 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Many of rock music's male vocalists sing in very high registers .

Many of rock music's male vocalists sing in very low registers, or the middle ones. Apart from that, the idea that a whole concert is played with open chords is pretty weird. Those acts that play in multiple keys (pretty much all bands) should be able to play barre-chords in every key.

But yes, bands with singers who constantly sing at the top of their range while being backed by a band playing open chords exclusively because they are unable to play barre-chords might want to detune for that reason. I'd suggest a guitar teacher instead, but that's a personal opinion ofcourse. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@jewtemplar)
Reputable Member

But yes, bands with singers who constantly sing at the top of their range while being backed by a band playing open chords exclusively because they are unable to play barre-chords might want to detune for that reason. I'd suggest a guitar teacher instead, but that's a personal opinion ofcourse. ;)
Certain chord voicings are unavailable outside of open position, no? I understand how this is not as important in a rock band setting, but as a predominantly acoustic guitarist and Paul Simon-style fingerpicking enthusiast with a bass/baritone range, I very much like keeping my guitar tuned down a bit. That said, in the past I have neglected to put on higher gauge strings, resulting in a less than stellar tone.

~Sam

ReplyQuote
(@coleclark)
Honorable Member

using Eb tuning lets you learn a song as the tabs say or as a band play live and still be lower, no new progressions to learn or anything, when it comes to barre chords its not so much trouble to change key but when its open chords with hammer ons etc you just cant change a key. it cant be done. reading in some guitar mag last week it had an article on the trend of Eb in live gigs, apparently its hard to find a live gig played in the keys the songs are recorded in, certainly out of all the live songs iv got on my computer 90% are in Eb if not more. as a singer it makes a HUGE amount of difference to use Eb, and it improves the quality of a voice no end. most rock (new rock not ACDC etc, so linkin park, stone sour, nickelback, silverchair, lifehouse) is in Eb and thats what gives them the rocky bassy sound. mmmm... sounds so good

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3