Skip to content
playing and singin ...

Notifications
Clear all

playing and singin at the same time.....

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@gaz-uk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi all, im a guitar player...obviously lol,im sort of getting the nack to playing and singing at the same time..but i feel im in two minds when trying..like..playing whilst remembering what to sing its hard,i was just wondering is there a secret to it? or an excercise to learning it? please reply i need help.. thanx.........gaz :D

"people laugh at me because im different...i pity you..because your all the same"

(@notyetnirvana)
Trusted Member

I had the same problem, but gradually it got easier and easier. I would suggest starting off with a simple song with few chord changes, and slowly work your way up to more complex songs

good luck!
NYN

"Me... In a Nuclear Power Plant?...... KABOOM! Hahahaha!" - Homer Simpson in Highschool.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Hey Gaz, would you mind makin you icon a lot smaller? its takin up a lot of space.

A good song to practice on would be wild thing by the Troggs, not very hard to sing and play.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@gaz-uk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok guys thanks a lot for the replies,ill try and get on with wild thing..thanks again..gaz

"people laugh at me because im different...i pity you..because your all the same"

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Gaz, also look for the Article Nick did, called "If I Only Had Another Brain"

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Good song to help you develop? Try "Breakfast at Tiffany's" Just DDGA for verses and DDAG for choruses. That was the first song I played and sung at the same time.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

This may or may not help at all, but, when I'm first learning a song I have to concentrate on my playing, but I need to "sing" it in my head in order to figure out where my "markers" are in any given song. (My "markers" are specific words in the lyrics that precede a chord change ). I've found that doing this actually helps me when it comes time to actually sing it (which I will never do out loud until I have the guitar part down). While I'm learning to play the chords/notes, I'm also 'arranging' my vocals in my head. Once I've got the guitar part down, I'll play it through once, still singing in my head, making sure that my 'arrangement' "scans" correctly along with the guitar part. THEN, I open my mouth and see how the whole thing sounds and tweak whatever I need to, be it on the guitar or with my voice. This sometimes changes again completely when I play with a band because you never know what someone else is going to throw at you that's going to cause you to do some more tweaking. (I guess that's what band practice is for, isn't it? :lol: ) Anyway, that's what I do. If it helps, cool. If it doesn't, just disregard! :wink:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hiya,

You need this, by our very own Nick:

If Only I Had (Another) Brain

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member

Since I dont have the capacity to play other peoples music (in good concience) I developed the ability to play and sing by writing songs. Sometimes Id use the same chord progression or the same rythm with a different verse. Although time consuming theres no better way to learn how to sing and play simultaneously, then singing and playing simultaneously. For those of you that can take a peice by another and make it your own I applaud. I, unfortunately, am too critical to learn a peice that has someone elses vocals in it. I can play my own songs better then anyone, because they were meant for me, once that line is crossed you can focus more on the song then how someone else wanted it to be. Although I dont feel theres anything wrong with doing covers, if youre still in the learning process of musical multi-tasking, putting your own work together on a regular basis is a good way to refine your performance.

Im not big into the old school hard rock, or anything like that. I enjoy writing songs that are simple minded and mor ein tune with my generation.

"The News" by Jack Johnson, is one of the only songs I bothered to perfect.

Its a solo fingerpicking peice in the key of A with very easy vocals only ranging about three tones. I suggest you listen to it and get the tab. I guess it only works for guys who like that kind of music, but some of the peices we learn here at GN are a little to heavy for me, I like mellow stuff.

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Maybe for you, but not learning other styles is extremely limiting.

ReplyQuote