Clear all

Playing chords that are almost identical

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm working on How You Remind Me - Nickelback. Pretty easy song. I realize this is how they wrote it. I saw a video of Chad playing it up close on acoustic, and as much as I could see he seemed to be playing at least some of the listed chords. I'm wondering how much of a difference it makes by playing the exact chords.

Tune: Dropped D (DADGBE)

Csus2.....x 3 5 5 3 3
Fsus2.....3 3 5 5 3 x
F6sus2....3 3 5 5 3 3
C5........x 3 5 5 x x

Bb5.......x 1 3 3 x x
Esus2.....1 1 3 3 x x

Eb5.......1 1 1 x x x

Absus2....6 6 8 8 x x
A6sus2....6 6 8 8 6 x

Bbsus2....8 8 10 10 x x
Bb6sus2...8 8 10 10 8 8

F5........3 3 3 x x x

Those chords in each group are all pretty close. Now, maybe I'm so inexperienced and messing up badly, but I can't hear any difference. Could I simplify it and stay with one of the chords in a group with similars, or just learn it as written? What would you do?

Csus2..................Fsus2
Never made it as a wise man

Bb5.....................Ebsus2
Couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing

Csus2....................Fsus2
Tired of living like a blind man

Bb5.....................Ebsus2
Sick inside without a sense of feeling

C5...............Absus2.....Bbsus2
And this is how you remind me

Csus2........F6sus2.....Bb5.........Ebsus2
This is how you remind me of what I really am

Csus2........F6sus2.....Bb5.........Eb5
This is how you remind me of what I really am

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Just curious where did you get that list of chords for the song in the first place?

It looks like they are basically the same shapes just hitting different strings, but of course you can play it anyway you want.

I know the song vaguely but I'm sure you can get away without playing those other chords although those look like he's just messing with the strumming to spice it up a bit.

I think in this case (I can't believe I'm saying this) I'd go more by your ears than what the official tab might show. To me it gets confusing to look at a tab that shows a million chords when all the guy is doing is just strumming different pieces of the same chord shape...but that's me.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Just curious where did you get that list of chords for the song in the first place?

Heh, that's a good question. I forgot. I think I Googled 'How You Remind Me chords'. Actually I got a couple of different copies and they are all virtually identical. If you watch him here and can follow, he forms the chords pretty much as written. Notice how his index finger moves to the 6th string and then off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzoDz1wsCio
It looks like they are basically the same shapes just hitting different strings, but of course you can play it anyway you want.

I know the song vaguely but I'm sure you can get away without playing those other chords although those look like he's just messing with the strumming to spice it up a bit.

This is what I was thinking and really hoping to hear. It's not a big deal to learn them and when to alternate them. But I like simple. And it is a simple song. Though I don't know what Ryan (the guy on the right) is playing.
I think in this case (I can't believe I'm saying this) I'd go more by your ears than what the official tab might show. To me it gets confusing to look at a tab that shows a million chords when all the guy is doing is just strumming different pieces of the same chord shape...but that's me.

No, I agree. And at the risk of repetition, what I was hoping to hear. Sometimes I second guess myself when I was right the first time. I'll probably keep it in drop D to get that bass note.

Thanks. :)

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Generally it adds or takes a way a bit of bass, or treble. In a Travis Tritt song I'm learning you go from a Bm, to a Bm(add11)<I think> which is:

x24432 to a x24430

and it just gives it a bit of a different feel especially on the up strums. Could I do without it? Yeah, but that subtle change adds so much to it.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Funny that you mention this song...I did a video of it recently - https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&p=427744#p427744 .

I am mainly playing Csus2 chord and all others are power chords. You can remove a note if you so desire. You don't have to go exactly as they have mentioned it in the tab. Infact some variation is always desirable, IMHO.

Good Luck !

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

That was great Rahul. :!:

ReplyQuote