Clear all

Playing for a year now....

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@schecter)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

By now i've been playing the guitar for a little over a year. I was just curios as what kind of progress others make after a full year of playing. Like for instance the most difficult thing i can play is a little John Petrucci's glassgow kiss. A year ago I never would have imagined ever playin something like that.

Also a question for more those more xperienced, does that rate of skill increase slow down after more years of playin even if you practice pretty much the same amount? Can i expect to be twice as good as I am now a year from now?

thanks

"I’m one of those lucky beginners who never actually makes a mistake." - Chris_C

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Comparing progress is very hard, and the shorter you've been playing the harder it is. Playing guitar consist of so many different skills that in the beginning everyone branches off in different directions. Some focuss on lead, others on rhythm. Some are more into Gilmour'ish sounds and practiced on their bends, others learn to tap and practice hammers and pulls. Besides that, it's often hard to measure what you can do. Different people play the same song, some better then others.
Can i expect to be twice as good as I am now a year from now?

That depends. If you can play 20 notes a second now you won't be able to play 40 n/sec next year, or 80 the year after that one. But if you keep looking at your weak spots you will keep making great progress.

ReplyQuote
(@losodo)
Eminent Member

This Arjen fellow knows what he is talking about. :wink:

Progress on the guitar is a hard thing to measure. I just woke up one day (after years) and realized I could play a tune from the open strings up until the frets ended at the top of the guitar... And honestly, I don't exactly remember when that happened. All I can say is: don't ever stop learning things on the guitar or your playing will become frozen in place, and then it won't matter if you've played for 1 year or 10. 8)

First I bought it, then I paid for it.

ReplyQuote
(@lummoxx)
Trusted Member

Progress on the guitar is a hard thing to measure. I just woke up one day (after years) and realized I could play a tune from the open strings up until the frets ended at the top of the guitar... And honestly, I don't exactly remember when that happened. All I can say is: don't ever stop learning things on the guitar or your playing will become frozen in place, and then it won't matter if you've played for 1 year or 10. 8)

This Losodo fellow is no dummy, either. :D

I can attest to that. I would say that, added together, I've probably played guitar for 8 years total, but spread out over 23 years. My actual skill level, I believe I originally obtained in the first 3 years of that. Only recently, having picked up the guitar again for these last couple months, did I put the effort into getting better, and in a couple short months, while my muscle memory, strength, and accuracy are not up to my previous levels, my pure knowledge is beyond what it was.

That has the desire to play cranked up to levels I haven't felt since I was 16 years old, and practicing to play alone on stage at the high school talent show, because my band all bailed on me.

------
Lummoxx
-Fender Stratocaster Splatter
-Line6 GuitarPort
-Marshall Half Stack MG100HDFX/MG412 Cab
-Boss "Heavy Metal" HM-2
-Current GAS Pain: WARBEAST!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

This Losodo fellow is no dummy, either. :D.

Lummoxx knows what he's talking about. :D

Sorry nothing further to add cause I have only been playing a little longer than you. 1.5 years for me.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Geoo,

Have you played that recital yet?

Doug,

Great hearing from you. The recital is this weekend. I am pretty comfortable with your peice but my teacher is now saying he wants me to also play "Scarbourough Faire" I am very nervous about that one.

I post how it goes.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@dsparling)
Reputable Member

Geoo,

Have you played that recital yet?

Doug,

Great hearing from you. The recital is this weekend. I am pretty comfortable with your peice but my teacher is now saying he wants me to also play "Scarbourough Faire" I am very nervous about that one.

I post how it goes.

Geoo

Geoo,

Hey, best of luck on the additional piece. I'm sure you'll do a great job on them both!

http://www.dougsparling.com/
http://www.300monks.com/store/products.php?cat=59
http://www.myspace.com/dougsparling
https://www.guitarnoise.com/author/dougsparling/

ReplyQuote