Clear all

Playing Guitar Creates Foot Injury ?

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK...here's a fresh one for you. Last week, Thursday, I started to feel some slight pain in my right foot. By Sunday, my foot looked like a balloon. I could not walk-put any weight on it. So I went to the ER. After a few XRAYS, the Doc tells me that the tendons that attach the toes to the foot have pulled away slightly. He then asks me..."What did you do to your foot to make this happen?"

Thinking to myself...I've not played hockey in two months..I do not workout, the ONLY thing I have done on a daily basis is play my acoustic. I tell the Doc that the most remote thing I can think of is that when I play, I sometimes curl my toes under my foot to raise the guitar a bit. Doc says "there you go!" It's called a repetitive action injury.

Go figure.
I've heard "while my guitar gently weeps" and "my guitar wants to kill your momma" but "my guitar will give you turf toe" just doesn't sound like a good song to me...

In case you were wondering...no, I have not stopped playing.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wow that's a new one, good luck with the rehab. those kind of injuries can take a long time to heal.

Hopefully it won't be to painful. I had a similar thing happen to my achilles tendon years ago and it took over a year to go away.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

You could get yourself a footrest to lift up the right leg. Just like the classical guitar players except they use it on the left leg.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/K-M-Guitar-Footrest?sku=450471

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@shredhed)
Eminent Member

if its a swivel chair you could lower your chair. Good job it's not your hand, that would really suck. I've heard of repetitive strain injury.

"A repetitive strain injury (RSI), also called repetitive stress injury, cumulative trauma disorder or occupational overuse syndrome, is any of a loose group of conditions from overuse of the computer, guitar, knife or similar motion or tool." - from wiki

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Last edited by Hyperborea on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Somebody turned on the editing notice feature! I can no longer discreetly correct my typos. :oops:

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I have sort of an opposite story. I walk daily for exercise, and while I'm walking, for some reason I tuck my left thumb tightly under my middle finger into a sort of fist, except my index, ring and pinkie fingers stay mostly open and comfortably curved.

This tight tuck results in some discomfort to the joint at the base of my thumb, not while I'm doing it, but afterwards. However, I can't seem to stop doing it! :oops: I can consciously open my hand, but before I know it, that thumb is tucked tightly again in spite of me!

So while yours is a guitar-playing action that results in kind of a sports injury, mine is more of a sports action that results in a guitar-playing injury. :shock:

:lol:

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, I can honestly say, Blueline, that I have never heard of a guitar related foot injury before! :D I'd definitely look into something to raise your foot slightly so that you can heal properly!!

And, Margaret, I do a similar thing, except I do it while driving. I've got a steering wheel cover and I've found that, when traffic gets on my nerves, my left thumb goes to the edge of the cover on the inside and I pull out on the cover so strenuously that I've broken the cover in that one place. After a day in Fort Worth, my thumb aches all the way up to my wrist!! I didn't even realize that I was doing it until my thumb started aching while I was driving and I saw what I was doing. I try sometimes to not do it, but, inevitably, it winds up back between the cover and the steering wheel! (Did I mention that I really don't like to drive?)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Never heard of this one before. Way weird....

I do tend to use a footrest. My teacher uses phone book. I usually prop my foot on a copy of Grout's History of Western Music - the text from my college music history courses. Seems sort of poetic, it's the only practical use I've ever gotten out of it.

By the way, there's no mention of the guitar at all in Grout. Apparently it's not part of the history of Western music. The lute does get about one paragraph.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Geez, that is a weird one.

But like the man said, sometimes when a door closes, a window opens.
maybe this is your opportunity to practice playing standing up? :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Never heard of RSI in the foot before!

The only time I ever hurt my foot while playing the guitar was while standing up; my strap broke and it dropped on my big toe :lol:

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

I usually prop my foot on a copy of Grout's History of Western Music - the text from my college music history courses. Seems sort of poetic, it's the only practical use I've ever gotten out of it.

:shock: :lol:

Thanks for the sig line, quarterfront! That's hilarious!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

The only time I play standing up is when I'm playing my LP. I never stand when playing my Ovation.

On a related note- Does anyone know where I can get a swivel stool chair from Gibson? I've looked around on their site and could not find one.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

The only time I play standing up is when I'm playing my LP. I never stand when playing my Ovation.

On a related note- Does anyone know where I can get a swivel stool chair from Gibson? I've looked around on their site and could not find one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=stool
sorry no Gibson :cry:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

I usually prop my foot on a copy of Grout's History of Western Music - the text from my college music history courses. Seems sort of poetic, it's the only practical use I've ever gotten out of it.

:shock: :lol:

Thanks for the sig line, quarterfront! That's hilarious!

Glad to help! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

After hand, wrist, finger injury etc, now comes FOOT ?

Actually I think you *can* injure your feet seriously, if you ever happen to drop a Gibson LP on em' in the middle of that screaming solo.

To be serious : Just ensure that your posture is right and you will hardly have any injuries of such sort.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2