Clear all

Playing in front of others

20 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@bruce-page)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been watching and learning from this site for two years now. It is because of this site that after 30 years of not playing the guitar I went out and found an excellent teacher and have played everynight (or close to it) in the privacy of my basement. I have watched you encourage several people to play in front of others, saying that is the way to get better. Because of this I am playing tonight in front of 20 or so people, 1/2 of them I have never seen before. I feel pretty good about my guitar skills as far as the songs I will be playing, but I dont look at myself as a singer. I dont think I suck, but I dont think my voice will carry me very far. I think I need to get the people in the group singing, but I am not sure what to do if they dont. I have picked songs like Yellow Submarine and few other Beatle songs to start with. Are there certain songs that gets everyone singing? The group is 50yrs. old average. Thanks

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Probably not the place to post this but I would say why don't you just make a bunch of copies of the lyrics for the songs your playing, pass them out and just tell everyone to feel free to sing along.

Most people aren't gonna remember the lyrics unless you provide them.

Good luck and have fun!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You'll be surprised how many people do know most of the words to a lot of old songs, and they'll pick up a lot more from a simple prompt from you when they do forget. Go for it dude, and have fun.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Are there certain songs that gets everyone singing? The group is 50yrs. old average. Thanks

Get them drunk. :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

You might be surprised at the old songs that the younger generation knows :D My nephews are into lots of "classic rock" as are many young folks.My 7 year old niece can play "Sweet Home Alabama" Its all rock music :wink:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

you gotta love the oldies, my mom is fom the 5o's and i grew up listening to that genre, and still love it today 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is amazing how the younger generation knows the lyrics to so many oldies.

best advice:
dont forget to throw in a windmill and high kick. crowds love that. :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't know how it's over there but here I can't turn my back or I'll bump into yet another clip of Hotel California, or Paradise by the dashboard light and you name it. :D

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

We all live in a Yellow Submarine...yellow submarine...yellow submarine...we all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine, yellow submarine.

Awesome song.

But yea, just play with confidence. You'll be nervous at first, of course, but don't think about the butterflies in your stomach. Just go out there and do your thing.

ReplyQuote
(@eirraca)
Estimable Member

best advice:
dont forget to throw in a windmill and high kick. crowds love that. :wink:

LOL - I really did. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I will say go for it. Good Luck. 8)

Don't forget to post reviews/pics.

ReplyQuote
(@bruce-page)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your support. I have done what I thought was impossible. I have sung in front of strangers and friends and even had fun. After a couple of easy songs, yes this includes Yellow Submarine, I had 3 women up front singing and a whole crowd clapping. After 2 ½ hours of playing I had to tell myself to take a break. It was awesome. For one night I was a rock star. Ok, that might be an exaggeration, but it felt like it. Cant wait to do it again. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Congrats Bruce, nice work! :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Nice one, Bruce.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Thank you all for your support. I have done what I thought was impossible. I have sung in front of strangers and friends and even had fun. After a couple of easy songs, yes this includes Yellow Submarine, I had 3 women up front singing and a whole crowd clapping. After 2 ½ hours of playing I had to tell myself to take a break. It was awesome. For one night I was a rock star. Ok, that might be an exaggeration, but it felt like it. Cant wait to do it again. Thanks again.
Congratulations Bruce on having the willpower and courage to make your dream come true. There is nothing like performing in front of others.

Now keep going. :D

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2