Clear all

Playing over an Amaj7 Chord

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to play a bit of lead or solo over an Amaj7 chord. I'm playing the chord in the open position like so: (X-0-2-1-2-0).
The notes are (X-A-E-G#-C#-E):

I've smudged together a bit of a scale in the middle of the neck (my comfort zone) and it looks like this.

|--4--|--5--|--6--|--7--|--8--|--9--|
E|--G#-|--A--|-----|-----|-----|--C#-|
B|-----|--E--|-----|-----|-----|--G#-|
G|-----|-----|--C#-|-----|-----|-----|
D|-----|-----|--G#-|--A--|-----|-----|
A|--C#-|-----|-----|--E--|-----|-----|
E|--G#-|--A--|-----|-----|-----|--C#-|

I can play along with this, but as with any solo or lead played just with chord notes, it feels a little bit incomplete. My thought is that there must be some sort of mode that a "maj7" chord represents or is part of. Perhaps the missing note or two will be the glue that brings it all together for me.

or not. :roll:

Many thanks in advance. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@alangreen)

Doesn't the A Major scale work then?

A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#A

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The B,D and F# notes do work well. Sometimes the simplest answers.....

Thanks again, Alan!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I can't feel what your emotion is on the scale but...try pulling two notes upward: B & G

E string-7th fret & B string-8th fret...play these notes together but force them quite sharp bending them upwards only as a passing chord. It's touchy...see what happens.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@utsymphony)

I always play Lydian over major 7 chords. You can get a great sound by emphasizing the half step between notes 4 and 5 or 7 and 1.

A B C# D# E F# G# A

ReplyQuote
(@tecker)

I like lydian as well. Has a very cool sound to it.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

it doesn't matter what chord you're playing over, it matters what key the song is in. if the song is in A, then you can solo over it using the A major scale.

ReplyQuote