Notifications
Clear all

Playing with finger disability

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@grushka)
Topic starter  

So, I just hit my one year anniversary on guitar. I've learned enough to realize how much I don't know.

Anyway, I have one seriously annoying problem - due to an old injury, my fretting ring finger doesn't bend at the top joint. (Flexor tendon was ripped and never repaired).

Now, I know all about Iommi and Reinhardt etc and their playing despite disabilities injuries; This isn't so much a 'woe is me post...

I've learned how to compensate for this problem. Unfortunately, it means I have to do some ugly things with my wrist where I wish I could have proper technique. But my main question is: is it a total disaster to have a muffled string in a few chords here and there? I mean, like there is NO way for me to play some of these chords perfectly cleanly. The un-bending ring finger always mutes the string below in certain shapes.

Or should I use different voicings?

It kind kills me because I'm a perfectionist. i want that clean ring all the way through.

Thanks!

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Hi and welcome to GN.

I've removed the double post in the bass section. Double posting won't get you any more replies and creates discontinuity in the flow.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@grushka)
Topic starter  

Hey, thanks - it wasn't intentional - I thought I'd erased it there (hadn't meant to post in bass section).

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

No problem, don't worry about it.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Anyway, I have one seriously annoying problem - due to an old injury, my fretting ring finger doesn't bend at the top joint. (Flexor tendon was ripped and never repaired).

A year and a half ago (in the midst of building my studio building) I was cutting the tips off of reinforcing rods that were sticking out of cinder blocks prior to pouring them solid. Anyway, the grinder caught my right hand and I did EXACTLY the same thing to my right hand pointing finger tip. It's immobile and solid as anything right now...permanerntly. All I can say is "thank goodness it's my pick hand". I've researched the remedy...and there is one...if you are rich...which entails a cadaver tendon graft and microsurgery...

Sorry, Bud!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

First, I haven't posted here in a while, so hi everybody!

Second, three years ago I cut my fretting hand rather badly with a pocketknife and severed both flexor tendons. You might find the thread I posted somewhere but it entailed two surgeries, lots of hours of physio, and two pretty sucky summers.

Like you I have no movement in my top joint on my index finger and only about 70% in my middle joint. I'm still playing, my chords are back almost completely and I'm taking a guitar course in school and basically leading the class. You can get clean sounds, it's just practice and working around it.

Few things I did to make it easier while I got mobility back:
-Lighter strings on the acoustic (On the electrics, I actually went to a higher guage string (Went from.009 to .010) and dropped the action considerably. Not only helped but now it's like butter to play.)
-LOTS of slide guitar, and I still can't play it right.
-The other thing I did as it healed was I picked up the piano again. When I got frustrated I'd go play the piano or the sax and that helped too.
I also bought a new guitar to keep myself interested :D

EDIT: Didn't notice the dates, sorry. Just saw Monday.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

yea I have the same problem I'm not sure if mine is torn or just dislocated but the top joint doesn't bend much and is permanantly bend down slightly.

It did give me some trouble for awhile with muffled strings etc but as mentioned you should with time be able to work around it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote