Please Help Me Deci...

Notifications
Clear all

Please Help Me Decide On An Amp.....

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I am looking to buy an amp probably within the next few weeks. The only amps I am really familiar with is Behringer. I have the V-Amp 2 so extra effects don't really mean much to me in my descission. In another thread Arjen mentioned that using the V-amp through an acoustic amp sounds fantastic. I was looking at this Behringer ACX1000 Ultracoustic Acoustic Guitar Amplifier so I can plug in both acoustic AND electric guitars. This way when I finally decided on a "sound" I want to play if I decide to write songs I can buy an electric guitar amp for that sound. I have heard good things about this amp plus I played it at GC the other day and it sounded nice. I only played an Ovation through it though since they were getting ready to close.

Does this sound like a good idea? Is there another amp in that price range that might be better? The Behringer amp that came with my V-Tone package wasn't bad so I trust Behringer products.

I also played the Behringer Vampire while I was there and it sounded SWEET! It is $50 cheaper but then my acoustic is still left unplugged.

Thanks

(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

Well that sounds like a good idea...sort of. Since you allready have the V-Amp the acoustic amp will be a good practice solution for the electric and of course good for all uses with the acoustic. Plus it can never hurt to have an acoustic amp sitting around, I've been planing on picking one up. But eventually if you want really good electric sound you have to get a good tube amp. I used to be all digital but since I got my tube amp(Traynor Ycv40) and my analog pedals my tone is in a whole other league. But for practicing that amp will work really well.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I shall recommend the VOX AD30VT once more. It's a tube/digital hybrid. Cheap. And personally, I like the sound of my Fender acoustic plugged into that more than my Ibanez acoustic amp.

You don't "need" an acoustic amp to play acoustic amplified. Sometimes, electric guitar amps work just as good. But that's personal preference. So go try an acoustic through an electric and see if it works for you. You might hate it, or you might love it.

VOX!! I can't recommend it enough.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ajcharron)
Estimable Member

I'll add the Drive amp ( http://www.switchmusic.com ). They supply the electronics for the Vox... Plus US made Eminence speakers. Not expensive and they sound great too!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

A-J & U2Bono269, thanks for the imput. However you didn't mention if these amps fall in my price range of $300? How many watts are these amps?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

http://www.music123.com/VOX-AD30VT-i126913.music

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Take your guitar down there and try out different amps in your price range. Don't just look at amps specified as "Acoustic". Try them all, pack a lunch and make a day of it. :o

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Mike I own that Behringer amp you mention and it is a fantastic amp. It is one of those decisions that I havent regreted so far. It does have quite a few effects built in. So not sure that you need that part but the amp has a very clean and LOUD sound when you need it. I love my foot switch and it has alot of different inputs and outputs. I also like that I can plug a mic into it and have it on a seperate channel.

Let us know what you decide.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks geo....I also liked the Behringer amp. I would use some of the effects for the acoustic guitar but for the electric I would prefer the cleanest I could get so the V-AQmp could shine through. I was hoping someone hear had that amp. I kind of already made up my mind well before posting this but I wanted to test the waters a bit. I tend to be "loyal" to brand names as long as the quality and price are good. So far Behringer has been good to me. But I do know that eentually I will need to get an amp for my electric that is sound specific once I "develop" a sound of my own. That's the good thing about these modelers...You can test all the possible sounds before investing alot of money...

Just last night I was playing with the V-Amp and by accident got about as close as I can get to a 12 string sound and that was because I accidently switched to one of the presets.

American Musical is a tiny bit more expensive (because they charge for shipping) but they are the only one's that offer the payment plans which is nice when on a budget.

Thanks eveyone for your imput...I will check out those other amps when I go to GC again...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Mike: That accoustic behringer works very well. I myself use a GMX212 for it but for amplifying the Vamp the accoustic one would work just as well. I strongly disadvice the superb Vox AD30VT. Since they have no FX-loop you can't skip their modeling preamp. I suggest you just try some amps with the V-amp and decide for yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Arjen, thanks for the advice...I knew you also liked Behringer products and was hoping you would respond. All the reviews were good and I like it as well...so I guess I know what I am getting next payday!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I think I am going to do pretty much the same thing you are doing. I already have the Behringer Acoustic amp so I think I will buy a decent electric guitar and a V-AMP modaling thing :D and use the acoustic amp for a while. I cant afford a decent guitar AND an amp at the same time.

And just for your personal satisfaction, I'll let ya know that I am strongly leaning towards either an

Amber Quilt or Flame
http://www.rondomusic.net/ad2500p90.html

or

Amber Quilt
http://www.rondomusic.net/ps900chrome.html

based on your reviews of the Agiles

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

WOW! Someone taking my advice! Now I am nervous in case you don't like it :shock: :shock:

I think you'll be happy with either choice. Personally I would go with the 2500 only because I heard you might have some feedback problems with p90's...

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

MARSHALLLLLLLLLLL :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

With all due respect, but marshall would be one of the WORST choices in my opinion. Besides the fact that the marshall MG (and to a lesser extend the AVT lines) have a downright nasty clean and mediocre buzzy drive channel they are so overpriced it makes no sense to buy them just to amplify a Vamp and accoustic guitar. The marshall sounds in the Vamp are more convincing then the marshall sounds in their cheaper lines, which is a true modern tragedy indeed*. Besides, the cheaper marshall don't even have an FX loop.

*Just my opinion, not trying to take a piss on anyone's gear but I am trying to help Mike get the stuff he needs in his situation.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2