Clear all

Plecs

17 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

is this a mystery to everyone or just me..

when you drop a plec.. it goes miles further away than it should..

like when i drop a plec, i look right down (where it should land) it really, it just goes so far away, i cant make sense of it, they dont bounce, so i cant see why they go so far when you accidentally drop them.. when i drop it normally it just hits the ground.. but when i dont mean to, it just gets lost and i spend ages looking for it.

anyone else notice this?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

No, unless, of course, it drops into the soundhole, which is really irritating. Otherwise, I think you have a distinctive plectrum plunging gift... :?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I've had that happen too. It's one of the true mysteries of plectrum-style playing. Depends on when you drop it, like in the middle of a strum or whatnot. Sometimes you drop it but it's actually gotten snatched from your fingers by the strings because the tip catches. In that case you'd have to factor in the the tension of the strings actually flicking the plectrum off in a random direction, almost like shooting an arrow without nocking it against the rest. Just boinggg! and it's gone. I mean if you've ever gotten a little piece of cotton or paper and set it on the strings and then tried to 'shoot' it off, you'll know what I mean.

Actually probably nobody's ever done that because I do some pretty weird things sometimes, but you get the idea. :)

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

They do seem to go far but now I have a new hobby that Demo has given me, launching things with my guitar strings. I probably won't try plecs because I lose to many of those with out trying to fling them across the room.

Actually, my problem is losing my plectrums. I consider them as part of the "great sock mystery" - you know, what happened to all of the pairs of socks?? I lose my picks quite a bit by either dropping and can't find or just misplacing. I recently cleaned my room, not that I don't usually clean my room, i mean i left "no stone unturned" and I have to say I found maybe 2 picks when I have lost probably between 10 and 20 in my room. Where did they go? I figure one day I will find a heaping pile of socks with plectrums mixed in and probably some hair ties too, they tend to disappear also. The only other explanation is that I have a leprechaun living in my closet that eats them.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't tend to loose a lot of picks while I am playing but there is probably a couple of dozen in the house somewhere.

I have the perpetual spinning pick problem :oops: . Sometimes I relax my picking hand so much the pick starts to spin. Now if it would do a complete 360 I would be OK but mine only go around 180 degrees. Sometimes I start a song with the tip and end up finishing with the tail end. I just can't figure out how to get back to the tip without stopping. I actually score the picks to slow this process down but it was not a perfect solution.

Am I the only one that has this problem? :?: Am I too relaxed :?: Is super glue the answer? :?:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Drill a few small holes in the pick, where you hold it, that'll solve the problem.
There is also a product called Gorilla Snot, especially made to stop rotating picks.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Drill a few small holes in the pick, where you hold it, that'll solve the problem.
There is also a product called Gorilla Snot, especially made to stop rotating picks.
Gee, I never thought of drilling holes but I have used "sure grip" which is the same as the Gorilla Snot and I tend to sweat that off.

Thanks I will drill a few tonight.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

They do seem to go far but now I have a new hobby that Demo has given me, launching things with my guitar strings. I probably won't try plecs because I lose to many of those with out trying to fling them across the room.

Actually, my problem is losing my plectrums. I consider them as part of the "great sock mystery" - you know, what happened to all of the pairs of socks?? I lose my picks quite a bit by either dropping and can't find or just misplacing. I recently cleaned my room, not that I don't usually clean my room, i mean i left "no stone unturned" and I have to say I found maybe 2 picks when I have lost probably between 10 and 20 in my room. Where did they go? I figure one day I will find a heaping pile of socks with plectrums mixed in and probably some hair ties too, they tend to disappear also. The only other explanation is that I have a leprechaun living in my closet that eats them.

This is no laughing matter. You probably have one of those interdimensional rifts or doors that was shown in that old Outer Limits. Or was that a 'Zone?

Anyhow, the little girl accidentally rolled through the hole in the wall that nobody could see and they couldn't find her but could hear her through the wall. Wait, that sounds familiar; like in Poltergeist. Butanyway, your picks went through there and are laying just on the other side of this reality. DO NOT try to retrieve them, it's too dangerous. The hole could shrink and you'd be stuck halfway in, halfway out.

On the other hand, it's probably gremlins or leprechauns. Or if you have a cat, then you'll probably never see them again in this lifetime.

Be safe, buy in bulk!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I droped my favorite pick about a month ago. I STILL can't find the darn thing. It's here somewhere looking at me right now laughing at me!

I think there is a Pick Fairy out there somewhere taking all our picks. :roll: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i was going for.. Plecs are living and they hate the guitar and they have legs, so whenever they get a chance to get away, when they fall, they run as fast as they can to secret hidden places (notice how its always under something or in a far corner)

put Plec fairy sounds more realistic.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

i was going for.. Plecs are living and they hate the guitar and they have legs, so whenever they get a chance to get away, when they fall, they run as fast as they can to secret hidden places (notice how its always under something or in a far corner)

put Plec fairy sounds more realistic.

Thats why i keep mine in a tin.

Ive lost many a good pick but i recently found one from long long ago (makes no sense why i found it being as i lost it in my old house in Ohio and now im in my new house in Washington).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I have the disappearing pick problem too. I have a big tin full of them. And they keep disappearing. So what I did was, I bought a TON of picks. And I put a handfull in each case, some in the tin, i stuck them in my bulletin board, i put piles on my desk, on the table downstairs, in my bag, in my pants, in my desk, on my keychain...now i always have a pick and i hardly notice when i lose them.

btw I don't recommend this, it's a mess. Do as I say, not as I do. blah blah blah.

On second thought, the pick fairy sounds good

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I think there is a Pick Fairy out there somewhere taking all our picks.

Scarry, I think she lives in the next room over from me. I "helped" my daughter clean her room today. Can you guess what I found?

About 20 of the last 25 picks that I've bought over the last couple months. What gets me though, is where are the other 5? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I too have felt this problem, except I've found picks in the shower, as if it had flown into my hair, settlyed for a few days, then escaped to fly down the drain, thank god for my guitar store bargain box, discontinued or defective picks for 5cents each!

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I used to drop picks a lot, but it hasn't happened to me in a long time. There's a fine sensitivity that develops, but it takes years.

That's not to say picks aren't still flying about - last Sunday I was in church, and the collection plate started coming around. I pulled my checkbook out of my back pocket... and picks flew everywhere. Quite the embarrassment.

Silver lining: in the coffee hour after the service, a woman approached me and said "Were those guitar picks you dropped? My son wants to learn to play!"

Perhaps the Lord truly does work in strange and mysterious ways :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2