Plugging in an Acoustic

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I'm a complete noob when it comes to guitars, but more so the new acoustic I just bought. I disassembled the electric thing on the side (tuner and phaser stuff) before realising that the battery could be changed by just pressing the blank plate under the knobs and stuff. DOH! :lol: Anyhow, I put the new battery in and found that the tuner works fine. But I'm not even sure what this thing is. Is it a preamp or pickup? I bought a strap for the guitar but theres only one metal strap thing on the bottom and nothing on the neck.

What I'm assuming is a strap thing actually has a hole through the centre that may be for the cable to an amp, does this sound right?
What strap should I use and how should I attach it?

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

it depends on the make/model.
what make/model is it?

yes the hole is also for your 1/4" cable to your amp

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You usually have a separate cord to tie the other end of the strap to the headstock (most people seem to put it under the strings, next to the nut).

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. The electronics side is "LR Baggs Electronics & Timber Plus Preamp", http://www.oklahomavintageguitar.com/crmlbumoinac.html

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member

As greybeard said, you will need to attach the strap to the head of your acoustic guitar... like this:

Or... you can install (or have someone install) a strap button near the neck. It is a very common thing to do and many guitars come with them already. My Ovation has one already.

There is lots of debate on the best location, but for the most part... as shown in the above picture is probably the best. Note... it is on the bottom side of the neck (when holding it)... don't install it on the top. Make sure it is in solid wood (don't just try to screw it into the body of the guitar). If in doubt, have a local guitar repair tech do it for you.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote