Clear all

popping strings...

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

what does it mean when I keep popping the B and E strings? It sucks too, because this happens sometimes right after I change them, then I have to change them again. Should I use heavier strings?

(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

If by popping you mean breaking, it probably means you're not giving the strings enough slack BEFORE you start winding them around the peg. I usually give mine at least an inch. If they're too tight when you start winding, there'll be too much tension on them when they reach pitch and may break.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

It also could be due to a burr on one of the frets. Are the strings breaking in the same place each time?

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'll take note if they are popping in the same place. I have been lazily stringing them so maybe dl is on to something.

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

another broke today! The D Sting and they are breaking at the Bridge. wtf?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If by popping you mean breaking, it probably means you're not giving the strings enough slack BEFORE you start winding them around the peg. I usually give mine at least an inch. If they're too tight when you start winding, there'll be too much tension on them when they reach pitch and may break.You have to start with enough slack to get the proper amount of string wound around the peg, but the tension on the playable part of the string when it's tuned to pitch is constant.

Fox, have you changed to heavier strings than the guitar shipped from the factory with? Often that makes the strings bind in the nut slots. When that happens, if you turn the tuners to tighten the strings, you'll find you may turn a good bit without the pitch going up. That's bad. All of the stretching is in the short section of string between the nut and post, and it'll likely break. When you hear the string suddenly "PING!" as it slips through the nut and releases the stored extra tension above the nut, it's a warning that this is happening. Lifting the string right above the nut slot to release the binding can temporarily fix it, but is a bit nervewracking as you don't know when the string will break. To fix this problem, either go back to the original string size, enlarge the nut slots with a proper nut file, or "saw" the new, larger strings in the slots till they slide freely, then lubricate the slots with something like graphite (standard recommendation) or anhydrous lanolin (something a bit off the wall that I recently found works very well for nut lubrication.)

Strings can also break near the bridge if they're binding or working against a burr.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you Ricochet for your insightful comments. What do you mean by "binding or working against a burr?"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Strings catching on a sharp edge.

Also, if in putting the strings on you're kinking the wires in a part that's not wound around the post, they'll likely break there under tension.

ReplyQuote
(@astonefox)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Strings catching on a sharp edge.

Also, if in putting the strings on you're kinking the wires in a part that's not wound around the post, they'll likely break there under tension.
This very well could be the problem. Recently none have broke. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Takes a bit of practice to do a good job restringing a guitar. Glad it's working out now!

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

When you hear the string suddenly "PING!" as it slips through the nut and releases the stored extra tension above the nut, it's a warning that this is happening. Lifting the string right above the nut slot to release the binding can temporarily fix it, but is a bit nervewracking as you don't know when the string will break. To fix this problem, either go back to the original string size, enlarge the nut slots with a proper nut file, or "saw" the new, larger strings in the slots till they slide freely, then lubricate the slots with something like graphite (standard recommendation) or anhydrous lanolin (something a bit off the wall that I recently found works very well for nut lubrication.)

Ricochet, I cannot thank you enough for posting this. The high strings on my guitar have been doing this PING sound while I tune ever since I switched to heavier strings, and they're a pain to tune too. I brought my guitar to a so called luthier to fix the guitar and all he did was adjust the truss rod and intonation (of which he did a bad job), but he never touched the nut. I'll try and fix the nut and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks so much for the advice!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're welcome! It's good to be able to handle the little problems yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yep, I figure I gotta learn SOMETIME :)

ReplyQuote