Skip to content
Possible Acoustic e...

Notifications
Clear all

Possible Acoustic electric guitar purchase and questions.

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok now here is the question How many watts can I put threw the guitar before shorting out the active preamp?

You should not be putting any watts through the guitar. The preamp will likely be powered by a 9v battery.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ok now here is the question How many watts can I put threw the guitar before shorting out the active preamp?

You should not be putting any watts through the guitar. The preamp will likely be powered by a 9v battery.
She was using a little 10 watt amp when she was using it.
Sure, but the guitar is feeding the amp, not the other way around. I plug my acoustic into an 800 watt PA system. My guitar's preamp is still being driven by a 9-volt battery.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

you could hook that guitar up to 3 amps with every knob turned up to 11 and you won't do any damage to the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

a guitar can do damage to an amp: for instance, if you play a bass through a guitar amp, or if you play an amp too loud for too long, you can damage the speaker.
but the reverse isn't true, as long as the amp is wired correctly.

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

Ok and my 40 watt tube amp will not hurt her guitar as long as the gain is maybe on 1 possible 2?

Don't do that, your guitar will explode!

But seriously, the wattage of the amp is completely irrelevant to your guitar. No electricity should ever run from the amplifier into your guitar.
If the amp is too loud, then you might get feedback (which I think could damage an acoustic/acoustic-electric guitar). If that happens, just mute the strings with your hand and turn it down.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

this reminds me of the urban legend...
a guy walks into guitar center. says he wants the best electric guitar in the store. they give him a gold top LesPaul, a strap and cord. the guy pays cash and walks out.
later the guy comes back saying the guitar does not work.
the tech checks it out to find that the guitar is totally fried to a crisp inside.
'what did you do?'. the guy says, I took it home, but in order to plug in I had to cut off one end of the cord and put on a three prong thingy to fit into the wall socket.
tech: why did you do that!?
guy: it IS an electric guitar...I just figured..........

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Wait... you mean you not supposed to? :lol:
Good one dog!

Derek, you're not planning on playing the acoustic through the Marshall stack...are you? I mean, sure, you can but...why? I would reserve that for the electric. And only when I was playing in the next stadium gig me and my fantasy band sold out. 8) Why for you need so much power? eh?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Wait... you mean you not supposed to? :lol:
Good one dog!

Derek, you're not planning on playing the acoustic through the Marshall stack...are you? I mean, sure, you can but...why? I would reserve that for the electric. And only when I was playing in the next stadium gig me and my fantasy band sold out. 8) Why for you need so much power? eh?

+1 If you do, you are going to learn about feedback in a hurry. And it's the amp that will take the beating.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

1. I don't think its even close to possible to hurt a guitar by putting it into an amp that's too powerful for the situation. No electricity should EVER go into the guitar.

2. If you get a Marshall stack for home, small club or even large club use, I hope you are ready for regular visits from your local police department as well as with your doctor to size you up for a good hearing aide. Ask Pete Townshend if you need that much power. You'll have to repeat the question a few times, and maybe write it down for him, but he'll eventually tell you that NO, YOU DO NOT NEED THAT MUCH POWER. Go for TONE man, not volume. You're not into metal.

Remember, DT's Super Reverb Amp is a 4x12 85 watt combo, not a huge stack.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I doubt Derek Trucks plays an acoustic/electric through a tube amp at all. Tube amps are not really the best amps for this type of guitar because they always distort to a degree, even at cleanest settings.

For an acoustic or acoustic/electric you want a solid state amp like the Roland JC120. This is one of the most famous amps ever, used especially by jazz guitarists.

Roland JC 120

Trust me, this amp is as loud as you'll EVER need.

There are also many great amps designed especially for the acoustic guitar, go for something like that.

Those Marshall stacks sure are impressive though. Have you ever carried the head around? If you think that is going to dislocate your shoulder, wait till you try to put the cab in your car. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote