Skip to content
Posture and Fingers...

Notifications
Clear all

Posture and Fingerstyle: How can I avoid injury?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@number6)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I prefer to play fingerstyle guitar, but I've got a problem. My guitar is a Yamaha APX-500, and it's too small to hold in the classical style, or anything similar. I can keep the neck raised slightly while I'm playing, but not enough to have my right hand perpendicular to the strings. To compensate for this, I have my nails filed so that they're pointed on the right side of my fingers, instead of in the center. This lets me keep my wrist straight instead of contorting it so I can reach all the strings. This approach works fine when I'm only playing one finger per string, but if I try to play, say, scales with more than one finger striking an individual string, I have to bend my wrist to get them to line up*. Short of buying a new guitar (I just got this one!), is there anything I can do to improve my right hand's position (I'm fine at keeping the left hand wrist straight)? I'd also prefer not to use a strap, but I will if I have to.

Thanks

*It's not a huge bend. Is this necessarily harmful? I'm not feeling pain now, I'm just concerned about what might happen down the road.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.