Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Practice 2 things at the same time?!!

Page 1 / 2

(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay...I've been practicing guitar for a while now...its come on really good and I'm improving almost everyday. However...I love to skateboard as well and because of me spending so much time with my guitar my skating has gone downhill. I want to bring my skating up again but I'm worried I might neglect my guitar playing. Any suggestions on what I could do to squeeze both these hobbies into a good manageable time would be good.

cheers

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

(@alex_)
Honorable Member

i used to be a computer programmer... i would split my time up, half the day guitar, half the day computer stuff...

then when i started going out again (with friends).. i know there wasnt enough time.. it was either stop playing guitar and be a good programmer, stop programming and be a good guitarist..

i dont want to be "average" at two things.. in the end i chose guitar, i really had to force myself..

i got my Visual Studio, deleted it, and snapped the CD's, there has been many times when i wanted to get them again to mess around on, but im glad i cant, it forces me to play the guitar.. which is good.

if you manage your time, you can do it, but i couldnt, and i had to quit something i loved doing to concentrate on the guitar.. im glad i did it now.. not 100%, but more than 50%.

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

(mod please delete, duplicate post)

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Ok.please, don't do what alex did. Especially if your guitar /skateboard are really expensive.

Figure out a way, balance half ur time between each. And stop wasting time as well. Surfing the net pointlessly, watching TV just cause u have nothin better to do, talking for hours with friends on aim! That wastes your time, and then you go "o....whered the day go, I wanted to learn Eruption..drats"

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

I have it! Play your guitar, and board at the same time, sure its dangerous, but just think how cool it would be...
anyway,

Exactly taso, I've been trying to get out all the useless crap i do and play more guitar. I hardly watch tv any more, but i still spend to much time just diddlying around on the internet avoiding my homework. Eventually it gets so late, I hardly have any time to play, which really makes me mad, but then i go and do the same thing the next day, but im workin on it. I soon hope to be playing quite a bit more.

and alex, thats actually not that bad of an approach, considering that its done with something that isnt of great value. Lately I've wasted a lot of time playing this computer game, and i just in a mini fit of rage broke the cd in two. It was the kind of game I only played to waste time. Now thats it gone, I wont be able to play it, which I'm actaully glad about right now, later I'll prolly regret it for a little bit, but I'll cheer myself up by learning a new song. Now had it been anything worth something, I think I would have sold it, and used the money to buy some gear. Now skateboarding is different for you DayZd, so I wouldn't just go and destroy your board or quit. You just gotta manage your time.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Don't forget, you don't have to do both every day. You can skate on the days when you get a chance, and play guitar during all your other waking moments! Or the other way around, if you'd rather skate more. Don't watch too much TV; it's the biggest time waster I know of. I don't even understand how people find time for television, there's never a moment when I have nothing to do but stare at a screen. Anyway, unless you're very busy, you've probably got time to do both. If both are important to you, you'll have to make sure you don't let one slip.

Alex, good move with the Visual Studio, you don't want to be a Microsoftie. Everyone knows the best programming tools are open source.

I usually just program while skateboarding (except not really, skating is bad for my tailbone. Those things are specifically designed to move out from under you!), playing the guitar, and making sure I'm up on the news.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

I find myself time to play guitar while watching TV. Hey, there's a good 15-20 minutes of commercials for every hour of programming. Why not take advantage and just mute the sound during a boring part of a show or the commercials?

Nothing says you can't be lazy and productive.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@alex_)
Honorable Member

Alex, good move with the Visual Studio, you don't want to be a Microsoftie. Everyone knows the best programming tools are open source.

.. lol

i just think the people who are best at things (art / computers / guitar / skateboard).. only have one thing on their mind.. and they concentrate on it.

thats why i wanted the guitar to be the sole thing i concentrate on.

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Estimable Member

Here is something that I do at work when I'm bored. Try doing triplets with your hands on your desk. Use the middle and index fingers together on one hand for the "tri" and the middle and index fingers on the other hand for the po-let.

Just tap your fingers on your desk...
tri-po-let, tri-po-let, tri-po-let, tri-po-let......
helps develop your timing and hand coordination, and you dont need your guitar.

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@stock28)
Estimable Member

Here's one way to look at it. what are you going to be more interested in come ten years down the road? I doubt skateboarding is going to be to important to you when you're say 25 or 30 years old. Music ability will last you a life time. You just have to put you priorities in line. Nothing says you can't have fun now doing both, just decide what's more important to you in the long run.

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

i just think the people who are best at things (art / computers / guitar / skateboard).. only have one thing on their mind.. and they concentrate on it.
You're probably right. I, however, have no desire to be one of them. Not that it's necessarily bad to be super focused (or that I'm arguing with you, I'm just musing out loud). I'd rather spread my time amongst many things, and get better at them when I need to be. I see skills as a means to and end, rather than an end in and of themselves. I program when there's a program that I want. I play the guitar when there's a song I want. I'm driven to pursue my interests, not to be the best. Probably because I've cultivated an absolute certainly that I am the best, in general. Trying to back up that claim to much would betray a lack of innate greatness. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Estimable Member

Ha, its funny. It seems that I've met a lot of people that played guitar that were also programmers, myself included. I wonder why these two go hand in hand?

-Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Ha, its funny. It seems that I've met a lot of people that played guitar that were also programmers, myself included. I wonder why these two go hand in hand?

-Dustin
Now that you mention it I work in IT also. Before moving into the support area that I am now in I was a self taught applications and then a systems programmer.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@racer-y)
Estimable Member

uhhh... why can't you do both? I have a whole myriad of interests
My son is 1st chair violin at his school, like you he also is a sk8ter.
He's no tony hawk, at least not yet, and his playing isn't bad either.
last year he severly broke his arm while playing the violin - no
wait.. while skating. he had a compound open fracture, ollieing up
some stairs. yeah, UP. he couldn't do either for 90 days.
like I said this school yeah, he's 1st chair and this weekend he plans on doing some spine transfer trick.....

Of course he's a kid and isn't bothered by things like career, commitment
and that sort of crap.

Besides Skating teaches you how to improvise on the fly, that sort of attitude can really compliment your playing. :)

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but when
you're a 22lb sledge, do you really have to be?

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Omg...my dad is in IT and he plays guitar...weird...

And...now I'm never gonna try ollieng up stairs...that must've hurt...and you better watch out with him doing this spine transer...those are crazy dangerous...I knew a guy who ended up in a wheel chair...but he should try it otherwise he'll regret never foing it...haha...I said foing insted of doing! hahaah...ahem...

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2