Practice

30 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Heres a thread,

How long do you doods and chicks practice a day?

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Not nearly enough :(

About 15-20 min most days, if I'm lucky.
Usually late at night, after the rest of the house is asleep, and the chores (and "honey-do" list) are done.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Not nearly enough :(

About 15-20 min most days, if I'm lucky.
Usually late at night, after the rest of the house is asleep, and the chores (and "honey-do" list) are done.

Same here. 'Cept, I'm an insomniac. So I am usually up until the wee hours noodling on my electric. But that's not practice..or IS it?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

It depends on the day. If I am at home I try to practice at least 30 minutes a day, usually after the work and before the dinner. If I have more time, usually on weekends, I practice and play several hours.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I never practise. I play the guitar.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I practice about 2-3 hours every night weekdays. It is not the most disciplined practice, I will choose an exercise and play it endlessly while watching TV, sometimes with a metronome, sometimes not. On weekends I will practice anywhere from 2 to 6 hours a day.

I have always been a practice freak, it has never been work to me, if I could I would play all day long. But I have found that non-guitar players do not enjoy this. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic

OK, that was a bit flip - but it's true. I never sit down to structured practise - I just don't have the time. But I'm a great believer in "The more you play, the better you get." And I play a LOT. I'm constantly working on new songs - over the past few weeks I've learned "Cindy Incidentally" "Stay With Me" "The Poacher" and "Nantucket Sleighride." Each one of those I've started from scratch, although I've been trying to work out Sleighride for a long time. But when I'm learning a new song, I break it down almost to atoms - rhythm, lead, bass, keyboards. At the same time, I've been working on some of my own songs, played on a couple of jams, written a couple of new songs - including my first-ever songwriting collaboration - and got a couple of other irons in the fire. (I haven't forgotten, Trev - honest!)

Practise? I just don't have the time! But if I'm playing guitar, I'm practising - paradoxical, maybe, but true. Like I said, the more you play, the better you get.

As for time - about 6-8 hours per day. I LOATHE being dragged away from my guitars for such mundane tasks as eating or sleeping!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Vic

I am going to add this to my favorite music quote mental list.
not flip. brilliant. :D

paraphrasing:
Zappa> shut up and play your guitar.
Miles Davis>if you can't play fast, play slooow.

hawkfoggy:
I don't practice in the terms what I think you mean. I do study a song, a section, a lick
until I get it the way I can play it. after that I don't practice, but more put it to practice.
it is not hard to put in eight hours a week. I grab moments when I can. it is so much fun.
when I think about it, I should change my strings more often.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Real practice as opposed to noodling around and having fun? Hang on I'll just grab the calculator... Um, well... lets' see.. there's the daily finger stretching exercises, add the warm-up routine, plus the special time on scales of course... that's um..oh, wait.. add the metronome exercises and the dedicated tone control work... plus, add another 25% for anything I've forgotten and... tap, tap, tap, press the total button and - yes, just as I thought - zero. :shock:

I occasionally plan to get more systematic. Somewhere I have a list. The first item on it says "1. Find previous list." Way back down the chain of lost lists was the start of a practice schedule list.

Muisc for me is a hobby and relaxation. It will never be a job. So, despite being pretty efficient at other things I'm almost completely random with music. My only real goal is to be on the bus and enjoying the journey. I work entirely in bursts of enthusiasm which can be anything from very focused (perhaps following books for a while) or completely erratic. So far I have noodled my way from appalling all the way up to mediocre. 8)

Works for me. :wink:

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer because of the differing levels of players here. Beginners need to practice more than intermediates who need to practice more than advanced.....

I play for probably an hour in the mornings, another hour in the afternoon, and then there's 2-3-4 hours of noodling in the evenings! At this point in the game, I really only "practice" when there's something new that I want to master or when I have to learn a new song for the band. My band practices 4-5-6 hours once a week (included in those 4-5-6 hours, though, are several breaks and a bunch of BS'ing).

Once you've learned and mastered the basics, i.e, notes on the fretboard, scales in all keys, hammer ons, pull offs, slides, bends, chords and chord changes, strum techniques, vibrato, alternate picking, fingerpicking, etc... you really don't have to actually "practice" a whole lot. It's more a matter of keeping your skills honed through playing.

Although, there is always something more to learn about the guitar!!! I believe that you could play for 50 years and someone can still come along and teach you something that you didn't know.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Depending on what I have going on during the day and/or night (work weekdays, kid's baseball/soccer/Tball..., my softball games, working late, going out to eat with the family, working out) I practice anywhere from 30 min to 3 hours. It's rare that I go to bed before midnight. I usually play guitar with my son for about a half hour a day or more, then when my kids go to bed, I sometimes play till 12. So, I would guess it averages about 1.5 hrs a day.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'm like Wes - a couple hours of structured practice every day. I get up, have my coffee, read my e-mail, and pick up my music and a guitar. Since my teaching hours run 12-9 most days, that fits my lifestyle pretty well.

It's definately not 'work' for me either - and Wes' comment about non-guitarists not agreeing is very true. My wife HATES my metronome work, and doesn't like what I play for practice (a lot of drills, scales, arpeggios, classical music, transcriptions of piano pieces, etc), so we have a deal: if she's home when I practice, once I get done I play her a couple of songs she likes.

Works out for everybody that way :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I never sit down to structured practise - I just don't have the time. But I'm a great believer in "The more you play, the better you get." And I play a LOT. I'm constantly working on new songs

+1 to that Vic! It's a rare occasion that I sit down to do any practice exercises, I usually get bored after 5 minutes of scale work and look for a new song to learn :lol:

I also always have several songs I'm working on (though how many of them ever get 'finished' learning is somewhat debateable!) such as this week; "Monkey Wrench", "Jessica", "Rise Inside", "Truth", "Hope Is".....it goes on!

I always think that I play guitar to play songs, so why not make guitar practice about playing songs too? As for time, I'd say anywhere from 2 to 5 hours a day, depending on what other trivial stuff I have to do (like going to work, eating, sleeping, and of course, visting the pub :lol:)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I don't think there's going to be a definitive answer because of the differing levels of players here. Beginners need to practice more than intermediates who need to practice more than advanced.....
+1 :)

Currently, I prefer to practice scales, arpegios, bendings, changing new chords or something to improve my technique or the way I play. Obviously, I also play songs for fun but when I play an A-D-E song, I play it. When I practice I'm concentrate in each aspect of the exercise.

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

I practice anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours on weekdays, but it probably averages about 45 minutes or so. On the weekends, it's often much more, just however much I feel like it. Right now, practice really does mean structured practice for me - chords / chord changes, scales, metronome, notes on the fretboard, or a couple songs that kind of serve as benchmarks for progress.

Of course, I sometimes sit down and intentionally *don't* do structured practice, because it is fun to just play and I don't want to get bored; I try to keep a good balance. I know I won't regret putting in the serious practice time - jamming is more fun when you don't stink!

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2