0 Likes
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Right now I'm working on;

Reject Yourself-Killswitch Engage
and
Under the Bridge-RHCP

Can anyone suggest some other stuff? I'm really looking for non-metal stuff that is hard but not too hard. I've been playing for a couple years, but Haven't been playing much lately. I'd like to do myself a favor and start practicing and get GOOD. What practice techniques do you guys and gals recommend that work well? Right now I just sit down and start playing the song, are you supposed to just go into that, or is there some sort of warmp-up part to it?

blah.

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

What and how I practise depends on what I specifically want to achieve. First I define my goals, then plan my path, - easy! Then I try to follow the path without wandering off it. That bit's not nearly so easy :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I'm working on the song Alison by Elvis Costello. It's a good bar chord song, at least as I'm learning it. Fake Plastic Trees by Radiohead is a good song to know.

ReplyQuote
(@ab0msnwman)
Estimable Member

One thing I might suggest is analyzing the songs you are playing.

Why does "Under the Bridge" sound good? What chords is John using and why do they flow together well?

You might discover a whole new aspect of the guitar. And you'll be getting the gears in your head turning while you are also playing!

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

One thing I might suggest is analyzing the songs you are playing.

Why does "Under the Bridge" sound good? What chords is John using and why do they flow together well?

You might discover a whole new aspect of the guitar. And you'll be getting the gears in your head turning while you are also playing!

Thats a good idea. I don't really know how to figure out what chords he's using, but I'm sure they have something in common....Help me out?

blah.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I don't really know how to figure out what chords he's using, but I'm sure they have something in common....Help me out?

It's all laid out for you here............

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=670

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

definetly learn a little about theory before you go learning a bunch of songs, its kind of a waste of time if you don't know what they are playing or how they got the sounds they did.

Just learn intervals and chord theory, they will make you learn new songs 100x faster and improve your lead also. Trust me, those are things that every musician should know no matter who you are. They just name the notes and sounds that you might make.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@infamous16)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I guess I'll start getting into that kind of stuff.

The weird thing is that I play the song alot differently then the on you posted, and it sounds right when I play to the actual song. I'm taking music theory when school starts up so that will help a bit, and my teacher (yeah, I have a guitar teacher) was going to help me with theory a bit.

blah.

ReplyQuote
 Kr1s
(@kr1s)
Trusted Member

Your guitar teacher should certainatly help you with theory as it is a important part of learning to play guitar. I agree on creating a goal each time you sit down to play this way you have something to aim for and can practice towards this. I don't as yet have any real practice or warm up methods, though I am learning the Modes which I think are good warm up excercises in themselves.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Practice on your guitar will make you good depending on how 'seriously' you practice.

Do it in instalments and do it with full concerntration. Any piece will be fine and easy to play then. A caution - Be ready to devote some time if you are going this way.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote