Clear all

Price of Lessons...

21 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@enosmac1972)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Just wondering what the average price of private lessons are in your area...

... I'm checking around my area, and it seems they go for $90 a month for once a week 30 minute lessons ( 4 or 5 lessons a month, depending on the month). Does this fall in line with everyone else as far as price/time of lesson is concerned?

Agile AL-3100 Cherry Sunburst Slim Neck (2008)
Dean Vendetta XM (2008)
Line 6 Spider III 15W
Line 6 TonePort UX1
Marshall MS-2 5W

(@midnight-shadow)

That is , 90.00, exactly what I was paying for 4 or 5 30 minute lessons here in the Seattle area.
Midnight Shadow

ReplyQuote
(@dbrownlee)
Eminent Member

:shock: Wow, I'm paying $10 a lesson, once a week.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I pay $16 for a 30 minute lesson -- $64 for an average month then.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@aleholder)
Trusted Member

I pay $20/per half hour, once a week. I do get a lot out of it as my teacher is very good.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Per lesson prices in my area depend...

Folks teaching out of their houses charge $10-20 per half hour; most of these are hobbyists; you often get what you pay for when you shop based strictly on price.

Folks teaching in music schools/stores charge $17-24 per half hour; the average is $20 (which is what I charge). Whether it's worth the price depends on the store and teacher... last year one of my students was a teacher from another store, and was charging $22 there.

"Big Name" folks charge $25-100. These are folks who have a bunch of CDs out, or otherwise have a big reputation. They're always great players, but that doesn't always mean they're great teachers. I know four people in this price range, and I'd say half of them are a bargain, and the other half are really good at marketing :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Average in my area is $50/hr. You have to agree to a minimum of 4 lessons and the teachers usually travel to your home. Hence, I am self taught and destined to a guitar life of mediocrity. :cry:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

$25/week for 30 minute session where I am now. So a month could be $100 or $125. Another studio charges a flat $80 or $160/month per 30 or 60 mins., respectively.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

$20/Half Hour in Central CT.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@mac-manc-mcmanx)
Estimable Member

Used to be $20 for 30 minutes but he's increasing it to $25. But he's a professional musician and has helped me improve my playing so no complaints. This is in Charlotte, NC btw.

When you wanna rock hard children, lean on F sharp

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

In the Silicon Valley area (say between San Jose and San Francisco CA) the prices are $20 to $40 / hour for the "hobbyist" teacher (or sometimes the young music students at university teaching on the side), $50 to $70 / hour for those teaching at the music stores or the independent music schools, and up from there for the name teachers (active or retired pro musicians with a known history). Many will want a monthly commitment to 4 lessons for the month (1/2 hour or 1 hour lessons).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

$60 per hour in Baltimore, MD; while searching for a teacher I saw cheaper rates but this guy is a working studio guitarist and music director. With four lessons under my belt I feel he's worth every penny. 8)

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

If you are really learning...pay whatever they ask. By the very fact that you ARE learning...usually means you are in the presence of someone leaps and bounds bettern' you. DON'T waste the opportunity. If it's expensive...so what. You're a starving musician...right???

Felix Leone...New Rochelle, New York. He charged me $15 an hour around 1970-ish. I needed to "get out of a hole" I was in with "regular chords". He was a jazz player with great creds at that time. Geez, he'd be at least a hundred if he's still breathin'. I can STILL see the smirk on his beard-stubbled maw as he grinned over what he was showing me...and I was learning.

Anyway...not too much later I came up with a nice jazzy thing "out of nowhere" and onsold it. My first income as a writer. Somewhere I got the demo setup on an old cassette.

Nostalgia beckons!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Hey Mac if you see this who are you taking lessons from in Charlotte?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ksac32)
Reputable Member

When i took some lessons it was 20$ for 1/2 hour-that was about 2 years ago-now i just buy dvds and search stuff online.
you tube can be a great tool.check out justinguitar.com http://www.justinguitar.com/ :D

http://www.soundclick.com/kensacco
http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2