Skip to content
Pro Guitarists - Mu...

Notifications
Clear all

Pro Guitarists - Muliteffects units or individual pedals?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@toggle57)
Topic starter  

Twice now I have purchased multi-effects pedals thinking that the bang for the buck was irresistible however both times I have not been satisfied with the quality of the effects and the need to work through menus and learn each device's interface.

I am wondering what most professional (I mean the guys that really do this stuff for a living day in, day out) use.

It seems to me that:

1. having the few effects one actually uses - rather than a hundred that one dosn't use.
2. having direct and immediate physical access to each of their controls.
3. Being able to pick the very best effects.

Is the way most pros would prefer to work.

Am I on the right track here? Would love to hear from you pros out there.

Thanks.

(@alangreen)

It's horses for courses. I use single effect pedals in my Big Band work because I don't have much need to change the sound during a show.

However, I have multi-FX units; they're great if I'm playing covers and want to sound like someone different for each song, but they don't help me create a signature sound.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@toggle57)
Topic starter  

Interesting... Thanks for the reply.

I think I am more interested in the signature sound area.

ReplyQuote
(@bigmoney)

I was doing the multieffects for awhile but I've switched to single pedals on a board and haven't looked back since. Everyone I know tends to use individual pedals too. It is more expensive in the end because you have to buy the pedals 1 at a time but it's not practical at all to have to lean over and change the settings on a multieffects between every song. I have 1 multieffects on my board, but nowadays I only tend to use it for a solid clean sound.

Cheers, brother

The 3 elements of Western music are: melody, harmony, and rhythm
If you'd like to hear them all played on an acoustic guitar simultaneously, watch me play fingerstyle. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcZ2NCZyxrBJYC5yufPaVAg

ReplyQuote