Problems.

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys.

I've been seeing a patern lately. all the time i pick up the guitar i play the same thing. i've tried to branch out and just got more board. this may be for more of the experienced players. did any of you guys go through this like a phase or something

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Yep, it happened a lot to me when I first started. :evil: :?

What I've found that works for me is to change styles, if you are a rock n roller, try some jazz, country, try funk, acoustic, try electric....etc. Sometimes just a little change in styles will open up all new worlds. Besides, it will keep you on your toes and give you a lot more tools to apply to your playing. I was getting a little stale and was really getting a little bored then I started playing a little (very little!) jazz type thingies. You know, clean up the gain, roll off the tone and play a couple of old show tunes. :shock: I worked at it and probably really sounded bad, but my accuracy and speed benefited from it, and my distorted tones really started sounded better.

Steak and potatoes are great but a salad once in a while is good too!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

When I hear a song I like, I write the name down (getting forgetful), then I'll get the song and work on it. For that, I like the TAB sites because they're a nice headstart.
I've also found a lot of things on VH1.

ReplyQuote
(@hawkfoggy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you guys so much!! Really, another one of my problems have been trying to make my songs sound popular or poppy or whatever. and you know how that can be. thank you very much

"I'm as free as a bird now. And this bird you can not change" Free Bird, By: Lynyrd Skynyrd
GIT SNAKE BIT!!!
stay safe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

getting a song to sound upbeat can be had by working the rhythm and tempo.
putting a bit of snap in a strum or holding a beat adds interest and attitude.

getting out of a rut or off a plateau sometimes just happens.
you can make things happen by finding some inspiration.
that takes many forms.
another thing is to respect the time you have with your instrument.
instead of playing mindlessly take a moment before you play
and then play mindfully. be in the moment.
then stuff will happen. :o

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I'm doing just that at the moment; every time I go to play it seems to be the same 4 or 5 songs over and over again.

I put it down to have so much to do elsewhere, though that's just a feeble excuse really :P

As was mentioned before, these plateaus do wear off eventually, but there are things you can do to help, such as look at a different musical type than what you are comfortable playing, pick up some new CD's to listen to, or even go back to the basics and work on smooth chord changes and scales.

As long as it breaks the cycle of repitition it'll help!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote