Purchasing Dilema

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Today I had my sights set on getting my first electric guitar after narrowing down potental guitars within my budget of 200-250.

I ended up going to a very small musical instrument store. The store had a wide selection of orchestral instruments plus a J&D LP clone and 2 other Strat clones.
I wanted to get a strat copy so I picked up one of the strats to get a good look at it. It was a J&D JD-ST66 and it was priced at $249 CND. To me this was a really good deal simply because the owner of the store was Chinese. ( The reason why this was important is because of the unwritten chinese saleman rule of: "If you pay cash, then we ignore the tax." So I'll essentially be saving myself $37, whcih can go into my amp fund :D )

Everything was going well until I asked him if I could try it. He told me sure, but he didn't have an amp for me to try it on. I was obviously uneasy about this and decided to put the guitar down and reconsider.

When I got home I did some research on the guitar and realized that it is a very decent deal for a starting guitar. I found the guitar model on their website read about the specs etc.
I have now decided that I should get the guitar simply for its price, and quality it brings.

But the problem is, is it too risky to purchase a guitar (especially and electric) without testing its sound?

Thank you for reading this and comments and opinions will greatly be appriciated.

(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

well, yesterday I got myself a $310 Ibanez Hollowbody(it should be three times this price) I was in the same place you're in before buying, I'd read about 50 reviews and an article on the guitar, and decided that since all stores had it backordered for about 2 weeks, I'd just go for it, I have been playing it non-stop since yesterday, and it's just as good as the reviews said it would be

but more importantly, play the guitar unamped, about everything you'll be looking for in a first electric will be apparent without an amp, the neck, the tension, the standard action, and all the subtleties

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

But the problem is, is it too risky to purchase a guitar (especially and electric) without testing its sound?

Yes, you would need to play through an amp to make sure all the knobs and switches work. And to see if that is the "sound" you are looking for.

ReplyQuote
(@spacedog03)
Estimable Member

I'd say it may be fine to do this but be REALLY REALLY sure they have a sensible return policy, because despite the specs and good reviews there may be some kind of defect that needs correction or replacement. (This could happen no matter how expensive or what type of instrument you buy.) Good luck.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You will probably get a lot of different opinions on this but the best advice is what Spacedog said. If you like the guitar and they have a good return policy then you can take a chance. With a local shop that is even better since there is no shipping cost involved which is generally something you eat if you return an online purchase. Also, with online you don't have the luxury of going back to the shop for problems unless it is a brand name and they have service in your area.

Personally I don't think there is a problem walking out of the shop without amp testing it if you can return it. They have to expect that to happen if they can't give you the chance to road test it properly.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Could you take your amp in to try it out? They do have electrical outlets in this shop, right? :wink: Do you have one? It must be a very small shop not to have any amps. My neighborhood small shop just covers all the walls with densely packed guitars and puts amps in the spaces. Unless it's a mostly acoustic shop, I guess. As long as you can return it or get any electronic defects repaired I don't see much risk.

ReplyQuote
(@luvmytele)
Eminent Member

Unplugged ... The feel of the guitar is apparent. Do you like the neck- a personal subjective test? Is the action good for you? Listen for fret buz.

Plugging into an amp helps but then again your amp is all that counts!

Remember the pickup height can be adjusted and pickups can always be changed! I agree with the advice of bring your amp to the shop or return the guitar promptly if the sound is just not what you are looking for.

Good Luck!

... that noise you hear is my Signature Sound ... lovely ain't it?

ReplyQuote
 bltc
(@bltc)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just to update:

I got my guitar and it is a beaut!

The owner ended up getting an amp for me to try, and right now I am one happy guitar player!

The only fault that I discovered was that the guitar came with a left handed Whammy bar! :twisted:

Asided from that, I lov ethis guitar!

ReplyQuote