Clear all

Purple Haze

39 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's some sick fingering.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@kachman)
Estimable Member

The riff in purple haze was one of the things I learned quite early in my guitar playing... As a beginner, as long as you don't stress yourself by trying to learn the solo in the middle of the song, it shouldn't be so difficult.

In the rhythm parts, it's just 3 chords. To play it like hendrix, you'll need to know how to form a full barre chord. There's a barre G chord played at the 3rd fret, and a barred A chord played at the 5th fret. There's also an Eminor7 chord with a special fingering that Jimmy used. I'm sure you've seen it in the tab.

If you're just starting off and just want to play the song, there's nothing wrong with doing it your own way. You could just play an Eminor7, G, and A chord in 1st position and have fun with it until you learn the jimmy way.

There are some lessons here on slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and bends. That's all you need for the riff aside from getting your fingers in postion.

Good luck

http://www.myspace.com/kachman

ReplyQuote
(@mishmosh)

It's worth having a look here on the Lick Library site

http://www.licklibrary.com/SearchV2.aspx

It's not free, but I find it an easier approach to learning :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

There's also an Eminor7 chord with a special fingering that Jimmy used.
A.K.A. The Hendrix Chord 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

There's also an Eminor7 chord with a special fingering that Jimmy used.

No doubt--in my mind it's always been "the Hendrix Chord" or it's like "play it like a Jimi Chord" when I'm trying to explain something to someone. I, for a long time, thought it was fingered differently (like I'm going to try and draw a tab; lets just say it only involves the first 3 frets and I use my pinkie in many chords).

What is the name of that chord and what's the notation? I say we call it "The Hendrix Chord" kind of like the "Barre Chord" (Barre was a somewhat famous ornithologist who died of "natural causes" in the 1840s in the Congo, but that's another story in itself). Who names these? The "HC" (what I call it as of um, right now) will require a strat strung upside down, a marshall 100 watt lead and maybe a fuzzface. And a curly cable.

Jimi's great, is it just me or does it seem like most of the youtube live Jimi vids available are pretty noticeably out of tune?

I can't answer the original poster other than listen to the song a lot, learn the tabs (which I didn't look at as they only frustrate me [insert mad lookin smiley] and watch that vid which is good and just keep at it. If you really want to learn this song and it's not coming quickly the only way is to keep trying. I'm pretty sure anyway.

Peace,
Jick

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

It's an E7#9.

If you follow the scale, you're playing a G with the pinky on the 8th fret of the 2nd string. The E major scale (8 notes) goes E F# G# A B C# D# E, so if you continue the numbering, F# is the 9th tone in the scale. Raise the F# by a half-step to G and you've got a sharp 9, for E7#9.

Regular E9 is a terrific chord too, for a jazzy or funky feel.

Isaac

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@sparky1ma)
Trusted Member

Hey Afo you could try this it's not purple haze but it is hendrix. http://www.911tabs.com/link/?3661874 and it's fun for us beginners.

Where am I going....and why am I in this hand basket?

ReplyQuote
(@jick-jackson)
Estimable Member

If you follow the scale, you're playing a G with the pinky on the 8th fret of the 2nd string. The E major scale (8 notes) goes E F# G# A B C# D# E, so if you continue the numbering, F# is the 9th tone in the scale. Raise the F# by a half-step to G and you've got a sharp 9, for E7#9.

Isaac

Jick with hands over ears "LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA"

No just kidding Isaac, thanks for the explanation. I go nuts the few times people have asked me to learn a gtr part by notation. I'm like "give me a tape or CD and I'll figure it out dammit!" I play Purple Haze with the exact same chords as Jimi in that vid but I use my pinky where he used his ring finger a lot. Strangely I can really read piano music but looking at a guitar score is like looking at the side of a barn for me!

Not that I don't get what you're saying, but it is, like I said in a different post, almost like math. And I am an accountant that TOTALLY SUCKS AT MATH! I know I could grasp what you're saying if I sat down and thought about it but I guess I just don't. I must give yo props for knowing what you're talking about cuz all I i can say is "Hendrix Chord"

Peace,
Jicky
PS and don't forget to at least take a minute on Monday to remember those you love but died. This ain't a political holiday regardless of where you're from and don't waste your day off if you get one.

Wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
Visit The Best Show on WFMU at wfmu.org

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have a tab of this song that is pretty close if not perfect. If you'd like I'll send it to you but I need an email address

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3