Notifications
Clear all

Putty for strengthening?

31 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

In many fields of athletic endeavor, athletes use activities other than their principal sport as part of their training.
In fact, confining training your particular sport or activity, can be deleterious to the body, as a whole. A friend of mine had been a very serious weight lifter, until an illness had him out of training for several months. He was unable to hold his arms up over his head for more than a few seconds, as the weigh of muscle would crush the arteries and stop blood flow.

The boxer Richard Dunn decided to help his training for a world heavyweight fight by working on Bradford market, heaving sacks of potatoes around. He didn't last a week. Although he had a lot of muscle, it was muscle that was created by boxing - short, sharp, powerful bursts - not prolonged support of heavy weights.

By doing training, in areas other than your main one, you keep your body more balanced.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I've only recently been using a squeeze ball specifically designed for this sort of thing. For me, arthritis is setting in...but fish oil and Co-enzyme Q-10 have certainly made a noticeable difference.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I've heard in particular, that nasty Cod liver Oil my mum used to give me is actually good for me.....who'da figured.
I was talking yesterday to a guy that got rid of his pain with that & other supplements.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I take fish oil mainly to help with my creaky thumb joints. Takes a while to build up and start working, but I've had a lot less aching and stiffness since I've been on it. YMMV.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Yer spot on about the thumbs, Ric. Me, too. The Co-enzyme Q-10 has REALLY helped allevaite the joint stiffness...and I recommend it to Ye Olde Fartes out there... :lol:

Cat

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

so you put the fish oil on the outside? rub it on the ol' elbow?

:lol: :oops:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I take fish oil mainly to help with my creaky thumb joints. Takes a while to build up and start working, but I've had a lot less aching and stiffness since I've been on it. YMMV.
Pill form?? Taken internally or rubbed all over your body?

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Pill form?? Taken internally or rubbed all over your body?

I think that if you rubbed it all over your body that you would become very friendly with all the neighbourhood cats.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I've just tried the putty thing - not bad, but all my windows fell out.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Swallow the fish oil. The cats will still love you when you burp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

How about when you're flatulent?

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

In many fields of athletic endeavor, athletes use activities other than their principal sport as part of their training.

I used to box- never real well, but well enough to get some fights. (Welterweight) Did a heck of a lot of running, rope jumping, swimming, you name it. Aerobic fitness is important, often decisive, in the ring. But it's hard to build major aerobic fitness doing only things where folks hit you- you can't do it LONG enough. You need non-boxing exercise to be a good (or even mediocre) boxer.

I think I owe some of my finger dexterity on guitar to my typing. Also probably some endurance has been built that way.

And:
I've just tried the putty thing - not bad, but all my windows fell out.

:D :lol: :D

Made me smile.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes that would be considered cross-training and you absolutely need to do that in all sports.

I remember when I wrestled how much ew had to run and run and run and god I hated to run especially after you've practiced for 2-3 hrs already.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/28/magazine/28ATHLETE.html
It's from a few years ago. It's a great read about the effort to 'construct a teen phenom' in various sports.
The author and instructors have a bunch to say about the merits of cross training, including;

'...Left on their own, children are natural cross-trainers. They climb trees, wade in streams, play whatever sport is in season and make up their own games. The lure of the great indoors -- cable TV and the Internet -- has made them, in general, less fit. But what is recognized less is that the way youth sports are now organized has made even those who are dedicated participants less athletic than they should be. The culprit is early specialization: many young athletes can perform the mechanics of their own sport, but too often in a repetitive, almost metronomic way, and they lack many of the other elements of all-around athleticism. ''I see it all the time,'' Sullivan said. ''I look at some kids, and they look good with the bat in their hands. They're perfect. And then they go out on the field, and I say, My God, this kid is a horrible athlete. He can't run. He can't move. He's spent all his time in the batting cage. So many of these kids have played no other sport. They're one-trick ponies.''...'

Don

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

I think that if you rubbed it all over your body that you would become very friendly with all the neighbourhood cats.

Hey!!!!!!

Cat

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3