Clear all

question about bending, kind of

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, here's the problem, how do you guys hold your hands when you bend up a string, lets say the 2nd string, then play the exact same fret but on the 1st string.

ie- solo in over the hills and far away, paige plays the 17th fret on the 2nd string, bends it up, then follows that note quickly by the 17th fret but on the first string.

I have been experimenting with using the same finger to bend, then kind of barre to get the next note, or by using two fingers, one to bend then the other to stay stationary on the higher note. Let me know what you guys do, or what is supposed to be done. thanks.

Also, if it matters, I bend the second string towards me.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Ok, here's the problem, how do you guys hold your hands when you bend up a string, lets say the 2nd string, then play the exact same fret but on the 1st string.

ie- solo in over the hills and far away, paige plays the 17th fret on the 2nd string, bends it up, then follows that note quickly by the 17th fret but on the first string.

I have been experimenting with using the same finger to bend, then kind of barre to get the next note, or by using two fingers, one to bend then the other to stay stationary on the higher note. Let me know what you guys do, or what is supposed to be done. thanks.

Also, if it matters, I bend the second string towards me.

I would be using a reinforced bend with the 2nd and third fingers to bend the first note, and then playing the second note using my index.

By "towards you" you mean towards your head rather than toward your feet, correct? Generally accepted wisdom indicates that you should bend towards the center of the fretboard so as to avoid slipping off the edge on big bends. So you would be doing it correctly, yes.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I'd bend with my 3rd finger on the 2nd string, and use my 4th finger for the 1st string note.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hey thanks guys, i guess i never thought to do it those ways, they really work. I used to use my 1st finger to bend and second for the other note, that got hectic trying to play the rest of the solo with the switching and whatnot. Thanks again.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

mich, I'd use my first three fingers to bend, the ring finger on 17. And then bar the 17th fret of E with my ring finger also.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

I'd bend with my 3rd finger on the 2nd string, and use my 4th finger for the 1st string note.

That's the way I would usually do it 'cause that's the way I did it when I first learned the song, but I've seen alot people use their 2nd and 3rd fingers instead.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am with Noteboat

Use your ring finger for the bend. Let your index and middle fingers help push. Use your pinky to fret the 1st string.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote