Skip to content
Question about Dean...

Notifications
Clear all

Question about Dean Markley ProMag Grand?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I just received my Dean Markley ProMag Grand acoustic pickup I got from eBay and it sounds GREAT! (Now I am glad I got the guitar set up yesterday! :lol: ). I do have a few questions about it (for those with experience with acoustic pickups):

First, I am using it with my electric amp. On the clean setting there just isn't enough volume so I had to turn the drive up and switch the amp models a bit. Should this be fine until I can get an acoustic amp? It doesn't sound too bad. Also, what acoustic amp do you recommend (less than $100 would be great!).

Secondly, do they make combination acoustic/electric amps? If so what company? Are they any good?

Thanks

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As long as you like the sound you're ok, pretty hard to damage an amp that way. You might want to check this for a tiny accoustic amp:
http://www.behringer.com/AT108/index.cfm?lang=ENG

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks Arjen...

I also found this but it's not actually an "amp": http://www.music123.com/Behringer-V-Tone-Acoustic-i156744.music?source=priceg

My next question is that the pickup came with like a 20ft chord. Can you attach 2 chords together with a coupler without jeapordizing sound quality? @0 feet is fine for now but eventually I may want more...

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That product rocks, but might not be what you need. It is a DI, which means you plug it into a mixer or pre-amp before sending it to the HiFi set of poweramp.

As to the chords, no idea. Never needed more then 20ft with rehearsals and our one gig, and if you need that much length you might be better of with wireless anyway.

Oh, how did you get that pickup in the guitar? I need one myself as well and have *no clue* how I can get something working easily. Technical skills are severely limited. Was it easy to do, how long did it took?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

As you add extra length to the cable, you may notice some high frequency loss -- especially into an acoustic amp, which has a good high freq response (electric guitar amps don't). So played through a PA or acoustic amp, some of the high-end "sparkle" may diminish with the extra length. A high quality, low capacitance cable may not have as much effect.

BTW, you may be able to compensate for HF using the tone controls or some equalization. An EQ for tweaking your acoustic sound is probably a good investment in any case.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Oh, how did you get that pickup in the guitar? I need one myself as well and have *no clue* how I can get something working easily. Technical skills are severely limited. Was it easy to do, how long did it took?

Arjen,

These things are SOOO easy to install it's pathetic! It just slides into the sound hole and that's it! It has a soft foam rubber that doesn't harm the finish that holds it in place. I does not move at all and it comes out in asecond. I got mine for like $30 from eBay (the Grand goes for like $60 new so I got a deal on this!) However, in the future if I buy an acoustic I may only get acoustic electrics...

Thanks for the tip on the Behringer V-Tone Acoustic pedal! They are so cheap that I may just buy one anyway for future use...

gnease,

Thanks for your advice on the EQ! I may just save up for a better amp (15 watts just isn't enough!) anyway! I'll keep the EQ in mind when looking.

ReplyQuote