Notifications
Clear all

Question about epiphone les pauls

27 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@travioli)
Topic starter  

i am looking to get a new guitar, i currently have an epiphone sg g-400 and am very happy with it, but i've just started to really like les pauls and am thinking about getting one.

Anyways i was wondering if there is any particular epiphone les paul that i should get, like, if there is one that has better sound quality than the rest or something.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

On the high end any of the Elitist models are good. I have a Custom which I absolutely love. The 100 is the end of what I call the lower end which has a bolt on neck. The Ultra starts the upper end and is the first set neck.

Most people will say that there is little difference in sound between the set and bolt on neck but I just use it as a reference for where Epiphone starts higher quality. By higher quality I mean better electronics, wood and other hardware.

My recommendation would be an Elitist version but if budget is an issue the studio, custom and classic are pretty good. The new ultra looks pretty good but I have not tried one.

Take a look at http://www.music123.com and http://www.musiciansfriend.com for a little more detail and pricing.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'll also do my daily Gibson plug by mentioning that if you start to hit the higher end of the Epiphone line, say $600+, take a look at the used Gibsons that are around, as you can often find one in the right range. Look for a used Studio in particular, as the early 90's ones are exceptional, go for cheap, and have amazing materials, including ebony fretboards...!

Buying used isn't for everyone, but with Epi's in particular, many dudes get them because they want a Gibson but can't afford it. Little do they realize that they CAN afford it if they know what to look for.

Good luck on your hunt and keep your options open!

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

along this topic i just played a les paunl at my friends house. he has this les paul. he is the worst guitar player i have ever herd, he plays it on a practice amp the size of a tetra juice box with a awful patch chord the width of a shoelace and its only like 4 feet long....its ridiculous its the biggest waiste of a les paul ever, it made me so angry, the only reason he has it is because he is the richest kid in the world and the only reason he doesnt have an amazing amp is because he didn't no there was anything wrong with his. the weerd thing is i saw a sticker on the mack that said made in china. i was like wtf....is it a fake or something....is that even possible? or is that where they are actually made...?

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The Epi's are made in China and Korea depending on which model.

And I did it again, forgot to welcome you to GN so Travioli Welcome to GN.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@maxo127)
Reputable Member

ahhhhhhh so then....wat makes them so extremly extremly expensive

$MAX$

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

ahhhhhhh so then....wat makes them so extremly extremly expensive
I guess it depends on what you consider expensive. You can get a low end Special II for $129 then you can go all the way up to over $1500 for an Elitist. It is really a matter of what they can get for the Gibson and Epiphone name. Epi is the only one licensed by Gibson to make a Les Paul so they are a little closer to the real thing.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

AFAIK, the Elitists are made in Japan. Very nicely done too :D

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

AFAIK, the Elitists are made in Japan. Very nicely done too :D
Yup, forgot about Japan. The best do come out of there.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I'm very happy with my Epi LP Classic Plus. Made in Korea and very nicely finished and built. It was $600 though, so I'm not sure if that's in your budget range.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I have an EPI Custom Special, The Cherry Burst with Gold hardware. Made in Korea. I think it was built in the Samick Factory cuz of the 'seam' on the back of the neck, its Identical to my Samick Accoutic (the seam).

I think its a great guitar. I've played Gibson LP standards at GC and I like mine much better. THe quality and craftsmanship are excellent. the inlay and binding work is flawless and it sounds great too. I think mine comes with the American Gibby Pickups.

Would I buy another one if it were stolen? You betcha!!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Did I mention before that I love my Black Custom and would not give it up.

If you want to hear the guitar (not the player, he's bad :lol: ) look at my thread in the guitar players discussion forum where I am trying to figure out the name of an old song.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member

I'd be wary of the Chinese ones, they seemed pretty bad sounding to me

Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul 3-pickup (Hawk)
Marshall DSL401 run on clean channel

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

you can also check out low end Gibsons, like the Melody Maker or the Les Paul Junior. They are the same shape, just different finishes, and all that. There are also Les Paul Specials with thin finishes and decent pickups. They may not look at nicely polished as a regular les paul, but they still bring the goods. And if you're into to the whole name game, it'll say GIBSON on the headstock.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Did I mention before that I love my Black Custom and would not give it up.

I'm all about my custom too.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2