Clear all

Question about pickups

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am new to playing guitar. I have this Fender: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511275/
I was wondering how everyone rates this guitar. But, my main question is if I changed the pickups what affect does it have on the sound and tone of this guitar. I like playing Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, to modern rock Creed, etc. Basically classic rock to current stuff. I have the Vox AD30VT amp. I know it has 3 single coil pickups. What to humbuckers sound like? Some people I saw used Fender Noiseless pickups. Do I change all 3 pickups or just one or two?? Looking for some advice and some brands of pickups you use. Any information would be appreciated.

(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Also, if you guys do recommend changing the pickups wat strings do you also recommend???

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I never recommend changing pickups until you've become thoroughly familiar with the ones you have and can very specifically name a characteristic of the pickups that you would like to be different. Then you can intelligently choose a pickup with its characteristics weighted toward what you want. There are no "good" and "bad" pickups. They're all compromises. And they're not the be-all and end-all of tone, either, they're one small link in a chain. Other parts of the chain can have a lot bigger influence on the tone (and can be changed for a lot less money.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Good advice from Ricochet. You should be able to get a lot of different tones from that guitar and amp combo, but some additional things to consider next would be: try different string gauges, try different pick materials and thicknesses, put an inexpensive EQ pedal like the Danelectro Fish 'n Chips between guitar and amp.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Ricochet. get to know your pups.
what is in there will sound good.
there are so many other kinds if you do change them out.

as for strings I like heavier strings because they have more tonal output,IMO.
I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkey Nickel 10 - 46.

I cant use 9's . too thin too wimpy. they bend easy for sure but they have no balls.(for lack of a better word)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@greg232)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So changing the pickups will not have affect on the tone of the guitar. Will the the pickup height have anything to do with it?? When I have my guitar setup do they change the pickup height??? So even the fender noiseless will not affect the tone. Thank you for the information.

Greg

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

greg

changing pups will change the sound, but what there telling you is 1. get to know your
guitar 2. decide what you dont like about the pups you have, 3. and what sound you are looking for.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yes, the pickup height is important, more for the signal level from the pickups than the tone. If the pickup's closer to the strings it'll put out a "hotter" signal, which mostly means that it takes a bit less amp gain to start getting overdrive distortion. If you get the pickups too close to the strings, the magnetic pull of the pickup affects the strings' vibration, throwing them out of tune when they're plucked hard. Doesn't sound good. That's sometimes called "Stratitis," but it happens with any kind of guitar if you get the pickups and strings too close.

Bigger strings also make a stronger signal from the pickup, and have a bit different tone as the higher harmonics are more in tune with the fundamental frequency as strings get fatter and stretched tighter when tuned to the same pitch. That's what people really mean when they say they like the "fatter tone" of bigger strings. As strings get slacker in tension, as they do when you go to a lighter gauge tuned to the same pitch, their bending stiffness becomes relatively more important and makes them act less like ideal strings. Their harmonics become progressively sharper as they go up the scale. Some folks don't like the sound of that. Also, the slacker the strings, the more they go sharp when they're plucked hard and vibrating through a wide excursion, as compared to when plucked softly or the vibration's dying down so they're vibrating through a narrower range. Try tuning your guitar down a couple of steps and you'll see right away what I mean by that.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

there is nothing magical about Fender noiseless pups

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

for strings definatly get super slinky's from ernie ball

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got the non-satin version of that guitar. Standard MIM. I use the Fender 10's, but am going to certainly try others. Not a fan of the EBs, but never tried them on this guitar.

I put some GFS pickups in it, but I knew what I wanted and got it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

In my opinion, so long as you don't have loads of effects pedals and don't play close to alot of other electronics (this REALLY causes the humming, even on humbuckers), I've found the single coil pickup "hum" isn't all that noticeable, and if it really bugs you or it's unavoidable, on a strat you can use the pickup selector to use two pickups at once which cancels out most of the sound.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote