Clear all

question about starting a band

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jacko23)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

this kinda goes with another post in here about potential bandmates, but i dont want it to get lost inside another thread....
i have been playing guitar for a while (about 9 years) but i havent done much outside tinkering with my own stuff, learning other bands' stuff and playing in a church band for a few months. it wasnt just hymns in church, i played more contemporary stuff in church, so it lended itself to more of a band setting instead of sitting strumming an accoustic guitar along with hymns. anyways, im starting to want to take the music a little more serious lately. i bought some recording software to put ideas down, and i have been thinking about putting a band together. nothing too serious because im in the navy and operational commitments can make it hard to go as much as a serious band needs to. just a band of friends who want to play some covers along with some originals. im not the most gifted guitarist out there, :oops: but i can easily writ some solid tunes (in my opinion) and have quite abit of pieces in my head to get a jumpstart. do you guys have any advice/ thoughts? as always, its appreciated

(@voidious)
Estimable Member

There is an Online Jams / Collaborations forum on this site, that might be just what you're looking for. I've only been here a short while, but it's clear there are some very talented musicians on these forums, and not just guitarists.

It's certainly possible to create great music all by yourself - Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails comes to mind. But at the same time, I think there's always something special to be found in the give and take of multiple artists working together.

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you've got ideas rattling around in there get them written down, get them in some kind of logical order, put some accompaniment to them and try them out on a few other people. It's the best way to get started.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

As a songwriter, I usually demo my songs by recording them myself. Usually I'll play a couple of guitar tracks, bass, a keyboard track, maybe drums and harmonica, and vocals. Obviously, if I was in a band, there'd be no way I could do all that myself. But following on from Alan's post above, it's a great way to get your point across.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote