Clear all

Question on "By The Way" by RHCP

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

This song confuses me in ways I never knew possible. The key signature claims it to be in C/Am. Which I think is accurate because the intro is played with the major scale/(or minor if we want to be accurate!). All the chords in the chorus fit. The progression is as follows: F, C, Dm. Then it goes: F, C, Am, A#. HERE's the problem!! What is this A# doing here?? I can't find a logical answer. The only thing I can see is that these chords (F, C, Dm, Am, A#) can't all be found in one key, but 4 out of 5 can in a few keys (C and F). I checked the circle of fifths for answers and it didn't help. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Here's a possible idea, it seems that the first part of the progression is a great C progression, yet at the end of the last part it seems like it almost modulates into a different key, i figure this is the case since A# (or Bb) leads very well into F. C and F are similar keys as well so it sort of makes sense.

Actually I'm going to say that the key signature is in F to begin with and is not in C at all (look at the chords and remember that the only difference from F and C is Bb), but i'll keep what I first posted in case i made a mistake.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

It could still be in C.

Bb is the 4 of F, which is the 4 of C. a 4 of 4 progression is not that uncommon.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

That makes sense, reminds me of "Hey Joe" where the progression is by 5ths

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote