Clear all

Question on practicing guitar

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@adntan)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I would like to ask for suggestions. Been playing guitar for many years on and off. Form a band back when I was 16. Nothing serious just jamming around to songs from metallica, SOAD , Disturbed , pantera, etc...

Recently , I have the urge to learn guitar seriously so that I could gain the skill and knowledge to write and play music for many years to come. Nowadays I Grew into loving music by Andy Timmons , SRV, satriani . Oh and I'm a big DT Fan back when mike portnoy was still around. Not that I'm not now, it's just that I like their old stuffs better.

Going back to the question, so I set up a practice routine:

Warm-up /Memorize fretboard notes
Technique(speed mechanics)
Chords position( with apeggios and rhythm)
Scale learning and improvising with backing tracks
Theory ( Fretboard workbook)
Licks/day( multiple sources)
Ear Training (software and intervals on guitar itself)
Song Learning.

Total 3.5hrs (transcribe to learn in future once I learn how to) I been doing this routine for two weeks now, and I feel there is slight improvement in my technique and theory knowledge as well.

But spreading my 3.5hrs into sections, it feels slow to me. Should I just concentrate and binge on the technique part first?
Or continue on the routine?

Thanks for the read ! Needed some help.

(@alangreen)

Continue with the routine - concentrating on one area at the expense of the others only brings limited improvement

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@musicus)
Eminent Member

Making a list of your weaknesses and strengths is always a good idea. List goals also. I would add sight reading to the list. Consider some one-on-one professional instruction, too. (btw last I heard Portney was hangin with Neal Morse and Spocks Beard and those guys.)

"Well, I hope the neighbors like THIS song!"

ReplyQuote
(@adntan)
Topic starter  

Continue with the routine - concentrating on one area at the expense of the others only brings limited improvement

Thanks Alan. I thought that it was a dumb question to ask actually. Needed that extra opinion for assurance , as I'm new to the practice routine thing.

ReplyQuote
(@adntan)
Topic starter  

Making a list of your weaknesses and strengths is always a good idea. List goals also. I would add sight reading to the list. Consider some one-on-one professional instruction, too. (btw last I heard Portney was hangin with Neal Morse and Spocks Beard and those guys.)

Agreed to the suggestions made. Encounter a couple of left hand technique exercises that I felt weaker then the others. Will gradually add sight reading, when I have up my game. :P it's sound scary though.

Sons of Apollo which includes portnoy in it as well . But don't know if it's a one off thing for them. Anyway thanks for the tips too Musicus.

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

I recommend mixing up the order so it doesn't feel so stale.

~Yours Troubadorly,
http://www.sergiopaulomusic.com

ReplyQuote
(@adntan)
Topic starter  

Really need the inspiration at times. Though I accept that in order to get better I need to practice.

One thing that I'm still confused at is seeing people's recommendations on thumb position behind the neck. I feel more comfortable placing it near to the edge of the neck , but many encourage in the middle of the neck in between the two middle fingers, which I felt a little wobbly at times.

Could you guys give me an example for different position in different styles of playing?
1)Legato
2)alternate picking
3)doing thrill licks on first and second strings

Thanks for the replies anyway, you guys are awesome. Happy Holidays!

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

Really need the inspiration at times. Though I accept that in order to get better I need to practice.

Focus on where you want to go and not where you're at right now. I like jordan belfort for this. PM me and i'll shoot you a link I use with all my students.
many encourage in the middle of the neck in between the two middle fingers, which I felt a little wobbly at times.

This is correct. The sooner you get to this the sooner you'll shred. Google guitar world record or any of the speed guys. They ALL have good techinque.

~Yours Troubadorly,

ReplyQuote
(@adntan)
Topic starter  

Focus on where you want to go and not where you're at right now. I like jordan belfort for this. PM me and i'll shoot you a link I use with all my students.
many encourage in the middle of the neck in between the two middle fingers, which I felt a little wobbly at times.

This is correct. The sooner you get to this the sooner you'll shred. Google guitar world record or any of the speed guys. They ALL have good techinque.

Hey , I don have access to use the PM function right now. Can I give you my email: [email protected] thanks a million.

ReplyQuote
(@lesspaul)
Trusted Member

Just clicked send bruh

~Yours Troubadorly,

ReplyQuote
(@timtheshredder)

I came across an interesting quote the other day about practice.

"Practice doesn't make perfect; it makes permanent."

That's something to keep in mind. Make sure you focus on what and how you are practicing. The types of techniques you are drilling into your system will stick. Good and bad.

Whatever your practice routine looks like, make sure it is full of quality practice.

Good luck!

My Gear:
LP Custom Sunburst
SG Reissue
1960 Clapton LP Reissue
Fender Strat '57 Reissue
And many more...

"Learning to play guitar is easy. Learning to Rock 'n Roll is another thing."

-Jack Black

ReplyQuote