Clear all

Quick-Release Guitar Strap

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hello all... I'm writing yet another newbie topic for some advice on. I have a Blueridge guitar and it only has one pin installed on it. I would rather not drill a hole into my guitar for another pin so that I can have a guitar strap. I saw on the web for about $4.00 a quick-release guitar strap system.

Does anyone use them? Do they get in the way of playing? I'm afraid of putting another pin on the guitar because it might change the sound of it. So I would rather go with a "safer" method. Just wondered if the quick-release guitar straps were worth the price of investment. Heck for $4.00 I guess I could try it out and see if I liked it or not, hunh?

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated! :)

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

We've had threads on here about changing the bridge pins and changing the nut, to get different tone. The concensus was that there is little or no difference between brass, horn, ebony or whatever else bridge pins and similar results for the nut. If they don't change the sound, I really find it difficult to believe that a second strap pin would have any effect.

In fact, wrapping a guitar strap around the headstock would seem to me to be a more likely source of sound change (by damping the vibrations in the wood of the headstock) than a second strap pin in the heel of the neck.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I love the quick release a.k.a. - "straploc" systems. In my opinion, a cheap investment to guard against worn/enlarged holes that develop in a guitar strap, since the straploc system securely bolts to the strap. I've used them for years, & much prefer them over ordinary strap buttons.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

omg, please don't ever say that a strap pin could change tone again.....we'll have people debating the merits of what kind of pin is best for years... :D

What kind of Blueridge? I love 'em. I just sold my Carter Stanley model before Christmas. It was an amazing guitar.

Putting a strap pin in is the most secure way to do it. It doesn't impact tone at all. Get a luthier or repair shop to do it. It should take a couple of minutes.

I also use a quick release for a couple of guitars with no ill effect.

Besides if pure and beautiful tone was really important I wouldn't sing as I play.

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

omg, please don't ever say that a strap pin could change tone again.....we'll have people debating the merits of what kind of pin is best for years... :D

What kind of Blueridge? I love 'em. I just sold my Carter Stanley model before Christmas. It was an amazing guitar.

Putting a strap pin in is the most secure way to do it. It doesn't impact tone at all. Get a luthier or repair shop to do it. It should take a couple of minutes.

I also use a quick release for a couple of guitars with no ill effect.

Besides if pure and beautiful tone was really important I wouldn't sing as I play.

hahaha... maybe my next question should be what kind of pin... :)

I have a BR-160. I really love that guitar and the way it sounds. I'm just starting out with guitar so I have d'addrio light strings on it now and can't wait to move up to mediums. What about worn/enlarged holes developing from having a pin installed as someone posted earlier???

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I use those quick-release guitar straps and I love them! Not because a strap pin would effect tone (I'm agnostic about that) but because of the ease and the security of the systems. I also like the way they look--securing the strap at the nut rather than on the body of the guitar provides an old-timey Woody Guthrie, Hank Williams, early Bob Dylan look that I happen to like very much. :D The guitar rides high!

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

What about worn/enlarged holes developing from having a pin installed as someone posted earlier???

They weren't talking about any holes on the guitar getting larger. They were talking about the hole in the strap end getting larger over time. That hole in the leather strap end where the pin on the guitar goes through. Over time that hole gets larger - more so with heavy electric guitars than with acoustics. I've got Schaller strap locks on all my electrics but I don't have any lock on my acoustic.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I use the quick release strap on my acoustic. I like it -- it's a good option.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on the quick release. I use the Planet Waves version on a couple guitars, and that works fine.

(... and I'm thinking that my hand on the neck would dampen or affect vibrations more that a strap attached to the headstock.)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@superman37876)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

+1 on the quick release. I use the Planet Waves version on a couple guitars, and that works fine.

(... and I'm thinking that my hand on the neck would dampen or affect vibrations more that a strap attached to the headstock.)

That is the kind of quick release I was thinking of purchasing. I was surprised to find it on the Internet for around $4.00. I figured it would have been more. I may go to my local guitar shop this weekend and try one out to see if I like it or not.

ReplyQuote