0 Likes
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Greeeeat! :D

And welcome back! We miss you!

Yes we did! :D

Have fun at your gigs Lars. 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

As with anything in life...

There is ALWAYS someone better than you

Once you accept that, you can simply work at being the best you can be.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lars

Welcome back! :D

Glad you are feeling better about guitar. That's the way guitar is, it plays with your mind a lot. One day you feel like you are a horrible player with no hope, the next day you think you are the hottest guitarist around. Just realize that it will always be like this and keep playing. The more you practice and play, the better you get, that is really the only secret there is.

Make sure to write us a report about your gig.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

arjen, you said that people don't want to listen to someone who wishes they were someone else, but bob dylan wrote a tribute to woody guthrie on his very first album. tons of artists have bowed down to dylan or the beatles or chuck berry or whomever. everyone who's worth anything started out at least learning the songs of people they admired. you sound like a slowed down version of radiohead's amnesiac era stuff. people are looking for real people, not cartoonish superheros. noone's real. in a world that only wants you to be something they can dispose of and use, reality's tougher than any crap you can throw out in some weak imitation, to badly immitate ee cummings. so lars and arjen, just be yourself. if you're pissed off and want to stop playing for awhile, i'd say that i've been through that and it's a waste of time and you're just getting worse while you stop, but whatever. life's complex and musicianship isn't first and foremost in most people's lives, so really, whatever. do what you want. other people do what they want. try to enjoy it or at least don't see it as a contest. if someone's better than you, learn from them. if you're better, teach. or at least realize that in a single particular setting, someone may be better or worse than you. it doesn't mean that you should throw away your entire life's experience because of one bad day. but at the same time, it's not like it's really going to affect anyone except you, other than in an abstract way for a few seconds.

also, you write useful posts for me, or at least thoughtful ones, so do me a favor and stick around for awhile.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Lars! Great to have you back!

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

arjen, you said that people don't want to listen to someone who wishes they were someone else, but bob dylan wrote a tribute to woody guthrie on his very first album. tons of artists have bowed down to dylan or the beatles or chuck berry or whomever. everyone who's worth anything started out at least learning the songs of people they admired. you sound like a slowed down version of radiohead's amnesiac era stuff.

Paying tribute is different from desiring to be someone else. Bob Dylan never really wanted to be Woody Guthrie. As for me, I never played a single Radiohead song in my life. As a matter of fact you copy what I say with the 'just be yourself' part. ;) For what it's worth, I can't remember romantic string trios, electric guitar solos or ten-minute long piano sonatas on Amnesiac but yeah, I do take inspiration from it. Which is probably why I excplicitly name them on my myspace as my first influence. I'm not quite sure why that is such a big deal to you but I hope you won't lose too much sleep over it. :D
people are looking for real people, not cartoonish superheros. noone's real. in a world that only wants you to be something they can dispose of and use, reality's tougher than any crap you can throw out in some weak imitation, to badly immitate ee cummings. so lars and arjen, just be yourself.

I hope you meant that in a generic sense. After all, I'm sure you're smart enough to understand that you don't know what's real and what's not with someone you never met.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4