Skip to content
Recommendation for ...

Notifications
Clear all

Recommendation for learning technique...

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I would like to learn the slapping/tapping technique that we are seeing more and more of these days - I know it is not a new technique... but seems like a lot more people are doing it these days.

One of the main reasons I want to learn this is that it sounds a lot more lively and upbeat. I have been playing a lot of fingerstyle lately, but everything seems to come out soft... classical sounding - even the more upbeat songs. I have been learning Brown Eyed Girl... but even when I am playing at a fast lively tempo it seems to be missing something. I think a little percussive tapping and slapping would help liven things up.

I don't have YouTube at work, so I can't give a specific song example... but it is basically just tapping on the guitar or fretboard.

Two of my favorite artists that do it are Igor Presnyakov and Adam Rafferty. Even Sungha Jung has started incorporating it. My goal is to play exactly like Adam and Igor sometime before I die... so I hopefully have a long time to learn.

If anyone knows what I am talking about... can you recommend any lessons, books, videos, etc that show how to do this... maybe a progressive style lesson?

Also... something I never really grasped... are they hitting the strings all the way down onto the fretboard, or just hitting the strings themselves.

Sorry for being so vague.. but I figured someone out there would know what I am talking about.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Do you mean tapping like in metal? or just hitting the side of an acoustic to get that percussive sound? I'm thinking you mean the latter?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@lue42)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yes, definitely the latter... but not just tapping the guitar... but also the strings - not to produce a note, but more a percussion sound.

My Fingerstyle Guitar Blog:
http://fsguitar.wordpress.com

My Guitars
Ibanez Artwood AWS1000ECE-NT
Schecter S-1 30th Anniversary Edition
Ovation CS257
LaPatrie Etude
Washburn Rover RO10

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I've done a bit of searching about learning how to do it, and the only thing I can come up with is to just practice it. No real method book or anything out regarding it.

I've noticed that most people use a thumbpick, which I find irritating to wear, and those that don't it looks like they slap the string towards the neck so you can hear it bounce off the frets.

As for slapping the guitar, I've been trying to work with slapping the guitar with strumming and I find that I need to hit the guitar below the sound hole the same time my thumb is coming down on the strings to get the sound together....kind of an odd thing to do, but I'm getting better at that part. I doubt I'll use it in my fingerstyle stuff, I'm a bigger fan of bringing the melody out, and using percussion towards the bridge on small occasions.

Good luck in finding something, if you do, let me know, I'd like to take a look at it!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I do it some. the main technique I prefer is similar to a bass slap technique: stick out my thumb at a right angle to my forearm/wrist, then rapidly rotate my wrist to slap the string(s) with the side of my thumb. I strike right on to the fretboard, and allow my thumb to bounce off the strings/fretboard immediately.

a technique for tapped harmonics: using the very tips of my fingers I strike a string or strings right over the fret (metal, not space between). the target fret is 5, 7, 9, 10 or 12 frets above the fingered note. again, my fingers "bounce" off the string/fretboard immediately. warning: this can be very painful, even with great calluses (as mine). when done right, this elicits a nice ringing harmonic tone.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Tapped and other styles of harmonics (like Michael Hedge's "drum" harmonics) are covered a bit in the Guitar Technique Encyclopedia published by the National Guitar Workshop. There's not a lot of example text, though.

I know there's a book by Musician's Institute on slap style guitar, but I haven't seen it yet - it's working its way to the top of my shopping list. I'll let you know what I think when I get a copy. But the other 12-15 books I have from them are generally decent.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i sometimes slap and pop like a bassist would, smacking down with the side of my thumb with a wrist rotation, and plucking upwards, generally with my index finger, but sometimes others.
it took me a bit of trial and error to get a decent, consistent sound with it. it's tougher than on a bass because the strings are closer and not as responsive to the attack, but it pays off. i've written a couple songs with it, and people like the intensity.

there's not much to it. you just do it like you see the bassists do it. there's a million youtube videos on bass slap technique. you just adjust the attack for guitar strings.

ReplyQuote